PREVIEW: No. 11 Michigan State hockey set for home slate with No. 17 Penn State

MSU fifth-year forward Nicolas Müller (19) celebrates a goal against Lake Superior State with his teammates on Saturday, October 7, 2023 at Munn Ice Arena.

EAST LANSING Michigan State hockey will see its first big test at Munn Ice Arena as the No. 17 Penn State Nittany Lions come to town to take on the Spartans on Friday, Nov. 10 at 7 p.m.

The last time these two teams faced off against each other was last November, where both teams won a game each. The Spartans took the first matchup in a 7-3 final, and Penn State took the series finale, 4-3.

The Spartans will look to keep the offensive hot streak going as they are coming off of a series sweep against No. 13 Ohio State last weekend, scoring 12 goals in two games as they won 6-0 on Friday and 6-4 on Saturday. The weekend result marked the Spartans first road sweep since 2016. Freshman forward Gavin O’Connell scored four goals in the series, two in each contest. Sophomore Karsen Dorwart was also a huge part of the sweep, racking up four assists and one goal on the weekend.

Penn State will start its four-game road journey at MSU after tying a pair of matchups against Notre Dame. Junior forward Danny Dzhaniyev had a goal and two assists in the series, and leads the team in points, the only player on the roster to reach double digits so far.

Players to watch for the Spartans include forward Gavin O’Connell, who is coming off his best two games of the season against Ohio State and earned B1G honors and B1G first star of the week. Forward Karsen Dorwart who leads the team in points, and forward Isaac Howard, who leads the team in assists. Players to watch for No. 17 Penn State include junior forward Danny Dzhaniyev, the team leader in points. Senior forward Xander Lamppa is somebody to watch out for, recording a goal and a pair of assists against Notre Dame.

The No. 11 Spartans will look to continue their winning streak against No. 17 Penn State, with puck drop scheduled for 7 p.m. on Friday night.