Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy early and then becoming mostly sunny in the afternoon with a high of 50 degrees and a low of 37 degrees.

MSU announces external firm to investigate board chair Vassar’s actions

MSU announced that the external law firm Miller & Chevalier will conduct the investigation into trustee Brianna Scott’s allegations that board chair Rema Vassar violated board bylaws and university policies.

The Office of Audit, Risk and Compliance chose the firm in accordance with MSU’s processes for the Code of Ethics and Conduct, university spokesperson Emily Guerrant said in a statement.

“Hiring an external firm is prudent and ensures those with information can come forward without fear of retaliation and that the campus community and people of the state of Michigan can have trust in the findings of this investigation,” Guerrant said.

Scott first sent a letter to the Board of Trustees on Oct. 22 alleging that Vassar bullied colleagues, interfered in legal disputes and attempted to keep word of her meddling out of an official report about the February campus shooting, among other things. Scott’s letter also called for Vassar’s removal as board chair.

This prompted MSU trustee and committee chair Dan Kelly to call upon the university’s Office of Audit, Risk and Compliance to investigate Scott’s allegations against Vassar in a statement released on Oct. 23.

In the statement, Kelly said the University’s General Counsel’s Office initiated a review on Oct. 23 to investigate whether Scott’s claims “rise to the level of a violation of our Code of Ethics and Conduct.”

It’s a hit: Willie Nelson’s line of cannabis nearly sells out following its debut in Michigan

The Michigan cannabis market has been rock n’ rolled by country singer Willie Nelson after his line of products, Willie’s Reserve, nearly sold out at all 15 dispensaries across the state after the product’s launch on Oct. 25. Willie’s strains range from 24 to 30 percent THC, which is slightly higher than the average potency of cannabis products.

Now, Lansing is the second-largest cannabis market in the country.

The company currently sources its strains from small growers across Michigan and is looking to expand the cannabis farming industry in Lansing to meet high demands.

‘It’s on us’ week of action events aim to raise sexual violence awareness, support survivors

This week is MSU’s annual “It’s on us” week of action. Throughout the week, there have been a variety of campus events that aim to raise awareness and provide resources for those impacted by sexual assault and relationship violence.

Hosted by Michigan State’s Prevention, Outreach and Education Department, or POE, this week has been filled with events ranging from tie-dyeing tote bags to sharing messages of support.

Today, participants are invited to leave a green handprint on a white banner, which symbolizes the MSU community’s commitment to combating sexual assault. The event will take place in the Wells Hall People’s Court from 10 a.m. to noon.

For tomorrow, participants in the give back to the community event can assemble self-care kits for End Violence Encounters, a local domestic violence shelter. This will also be a time to learn about MSU Safe Space, which is a campus resource offering safety planning services. The event will take place on the first floor of Brody Square from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Based on original reporting by Owen McCarthy, Kayla Nelsen and Kaspar Haehnle.