Happy Halloween!

Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy and possible flurry or snow showers with a high of 38 degrees and a low of 24 degrees.

University health professionals coordinate care through eating disorder team

For over 15 years, members of the medical, psychiatric, psychological, and nutrition departments of Michigan State University health services have worked together as an eating disorder team to coordinate multidisciplinary recovery care.

The current eating disorder team is made up of a medical doctor, a physician, a nurse practitioner, dieticians, a psychologist, a psychiatrist and a social worker. Olin Health Center Physician Julia Popenoe said the team functions primarily for the providers.

The team allows for coordinated care for students suffering from eating disorders regardless of how they originally sought out help. With so many aspects of needed care, students can enter recovery through multiple avenues.

Popenoe said she often has students reach out with health concerns like fatigue, hair loss or feeling cold. After talking more with these students, she determines the concerns are symptoms of a disordered relationship with food.

In these cases, she said MSU’s program is helpful for the student entering recovery because they are able to focus on resolving their original health concerns.

‘Odyssey’ play, acting company comes to Wharton Center

“Odyssey” came to Michigan State University’s Wharton Center this past weekend. The new adaptation of Homer’s epic, “The Odyssey,” modernizes the ancient tale of Odysseus’s return to Ithaca and tells the story of four migrant women, who recount the original story as they struggle to make their own journey home.

Writer and director Lisa Peterson said the original idea for the story originated around 2005, when she made an adaptation with her writing partner.

The idea then resurfaced for Peterson around 2017, when migrants were receiving much press coverage for making perilous journeys across the ocean. Peterson decided to center the story around four migrant women and began writing in the winter of 2020.

However, Peterson said adapting a classic like “The Odyssey” goes beyond just changing the setting and characters. For her, it’s about recreating every aspect of the story while still holding true to the original text’s themes.

‘Compound Kinetics’ performs in Lansing with an intention to inspire change

“Compound Kinetics,” a female and non-binary-focused music group with ties to MSU, intends to create change in their community through performing.

The band’s first-ever performance was at Mac’s Bar last Thursday. The group performed what they call a “Fem Rap and R&B experience.”

Jillian Plant, a communication senior at MSU who organized the band, said these spaces are important because they provide visibility.

Plant said she found that making an effort to go out and perform at local shows is critical to establishing a presence.

She also said the group all has a lot of similarities but also differences, adding to the meaning of their group even more.

Based on original reporting by Vivian Barrett, Jack Williams and Liam Clymer.