Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy skies early and a few showers developing later in the day with a high of 49 degrees and a low of 42 degrees.

MSU trustee, search committee chair concedes to president search criticism

The Michigan State University trustee chairing the current Presidential Search Committee released a statement Sunday promising to pick a candidate endorsed by the committee amid widespread criticism of his earlier comments suggesting he would do otherwise.

The trustee, Democrat Dennis Denno, said in the statement that he “misspoke” last month when he told The State News the Board of Trustees will “very strongly consider” the recommendations of the committee in selecting the next president but could ultimately choose someone who doesn’t get the committee’s endorsement.

That idea prompted letters and formal resolutions demanding that the board only choose committee-approved candidates from MSU’s undergraduate student government, faculty senate and every dean and vice-provost.

In the statement, Denno said he “hopes all trustees agree” with his commitment to select a candidate endorsed by the search committee.

As for when the final choice will be announced, Denno’s statement affirms his previous commitment to complete the process by Thanksgiving, saying “there is no need to slow down the search process.”

Local artists show out their talent at Old Town’s “Arts Night Out”

In Old Town last Friday, the community gathered to celebrate their final “Arts Night Out” of the 2023 season.

Organized by the Arts Council of Greater Lansing, Arts Night Out started in 2016 as an event intended to unite upcoming artists and long-standing businesses. Held on the first or second Friday night of each month from April to October, businesses throughout the community provide a space for artists to set up and showcase their talents.

The event allows community members to enjoy food and drinks while helping support local artists. Despite the rainy weather, there was a significant turnout. From start to finish, people found shelter from the rain in conversations with artists.

In the past seven years, “Arts Night Out” has become a key event for artists, businesses and community members to connect and explore new local art.

MSU experts say self-care can help survivors during recovery, healing process

Self-care has been clinically proven to reduce anxiety, stress and depression, while also strengthening relationships.

According to Michigan State University Center for Survivors associate director and therapy team supervisor Erin Roberts, self-care can be a helpful strategy for sexual assault and relationship violence survivors during their recovery process.

Roberts said certain self-care methods can offer relief when survivors have been triggered or experienced a particularly hard day.

When it comes to survivors of sexual assault, specifically, self-care is often left on the back burner of treatment methods because the survivor can be overwhelmed by the response to their trauma.

Roberts said it is important to note that everyone heals differently, so what may work for one person may not work for another.

Though not everyone has the time to engage in some self-care practices, like going on hour-long walks, it’s still essential to set aside time for yourself.

Roberts said the MSU Center for Survivors offers a variety of workshops involving grounding and self-care activities, such as virtual yoga classes and art workshops, that anyone can attend.

More events and info for resources can also be found on MSU Safe Place’s website.

Based on original reporting by Alex Walters, Gabrielle Yeary and Hannah Holycross.