The Sci-Files – 09/17/2023 – Goodbye to Chelsie and Daniel

On this episode of The Sci-Files, Mari Dowling and Dimitri Joseph interviewed Chelsie Boodoo and Daniel Puentes about their research. Daniel Puentes graduated from Michigan State University with a Ph.D. in Physics. His work focused on using experimental information to inform nuclear astrophysical simulations describing the creation of elements in space. Daniel also developed a first-generation beam stopper dedicated to dissociating molecules to improve low-energy rare isotope measurements. Daniel co-founded and co-hosted The Sci-Files with Chelsie Boodoo in 2019. Chelsie Boodoo is a Ph.D. Candidate in Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering. She creates biosensors using gold and magnetic nanoparticles to detect African Swine Fever Virus. She also uses this technology to detect foodborne pathogens such as Staphylococcus aureus. 
If you want to discuss your MSU research on the radio or nominate a student, please email [email protected]. You can ask questions about future episodes here. Check The Sci-Files out on TwitterFacebookInstagram, and YouTube!