Michigan State finishes weekend in the Carolinas 1-2

Sarah Smith

Andrew Carson during the 2022 MSU baseball season. Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

Evan Katz, Baseball Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING – Michigan State baseball wrapped up its third and final game in the One Spartanburg, Inc. Baseball Classic on Sunday afternoon against Presbyterian College. MSU suffered an 8-6 loss against the Blue Hose and left the Carolinas 1-2.

“I’m very disappointed in today’s outcome, and it was just a disappointing weekend for us,” MSU head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. “Overall, I think we did some good things both yesterday and today, but it wasn’t quite enough.”

Entering Sunday’s matchup, both teams were 4-2 on the season. 

The Spartan offense started strong early in the top of the  first. Junior first baseman Brock Vradenburg hit a two run homer to left center field  driving in junior Trent Farquhar. This homer was Vradenburg’s first of the year.  

Presbyterian College was quick to respond in the bottom half of the inning as right fielder Joel Dragoo scored from a double to left  by catcher Dalton Reeves off MSU pitcher Andrew Carson, making the score 2-1 for the Spartans.

In the home half of the second, Presbyterian College leveled the score at 2-2.  Reeves  reached on an error by MSU senior left fielder Casey Mayes.

Freshman first baseman Evan Cuervo doubled to left and his teammate Jack Gorman made it 5-2 in the third inning.

Carson’s days came to a close after three IP, giving up five hits, five  runs, four  being earned. Carson was replaced by sophomore right hander Ryan Szczepaniak who was charged with loss. 

Michigan State closed the gap in the fourth inning as redshirt sophomore Bryan Broecker hit MSU’s second homer of the day, driving in Mayes to make it 5-4.

In the bottom of the fifth, Reeves picked up his fourth RBI, homering to right field scoring Dragoo. That made it 7-5 in favor of Presbyterian College. 

In the eighth inning, MSU junior right fielder Jack Frank hit a solo home run which brought the Spartans within two runs again.

“I give our guys credit, we put ourselves in a position where we can tie the game or take the lead in the ninth, but we weren’t able to quite get it done, so credit to Presbyterian, offensively, they were really good today. We need to be better next weekend,” said Boss Jr. 

Michigan State (4-3) will play College of Charleston and Charleston Southern in Charleston, South Carolina next weekend. Game one against College of Charleston is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Friday, March 3.