RECAP: Spartan track and field impresses at Simmons-Harvey Invitational

MSU track and field’s John Petruno competes in a meet/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Caden Handwork, General Assignment Reporter

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The Michigan State track and field team competed on Saturday, Jan. 22  at the Simmons-Harvey Invitational in Ann Arbor. The Spartans competed against Big Ten rivals Purdue, Michigan and Ohio State in the invitational. 

The women’s team finished third in the invitational with 96 points behind Ohio State (2nd place) and Michigan (1st place). The men’s team finished in last place with 64 points in the meet. 

Despite a last place finish for the men’s team, the Spartans saw a strong performance by fifth year senior pole vaulter Trevor Stephenson, who finished first in the pole vault with a jump of 5.20 meters. 

The Spartans also recorded top 3 finishes in the 400 meter dash and shotput. Spartan sophomore sprinter Noah Sage finished second in the 400 meter dash with a time of 48.08. In the shot put, freshman thrower Colby Morlock came in third in the shot put with a throw of 17.39 meters. 

In the 4 x 400 the Spartans distance runners Noah Sage, Antonio Postell, Kendel Hammock, and Jalen Jackson finished 3rd with a time of 3:09.05.  

On the women’s side, the Spartans received first place finishes from sophomore Opal Jackson in the shotput and sophomore Valadian Pallett in the weight throw. Jackson threw 18.60 meters in the shot put, while Pallett threw 18.65 meters in the weight throw. 

MSU also saw strong performances in the 3000 meter run by fifth year senior distance runner Katie Osika who came in fourth place with a time of 9:33. Senior sprinter Amani Nuels finished in the second with a time of 7.45 seconds. 

The Spartans will travel to Bloomington for the Indiana University Relays on Jan. 27 while other runners will travel to Louisville for the PNC Lenny Lyles Invitational.