Happy Friday! Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy skies with some possible flurries or snow showers with a high of 34 degrees and a low of 27 degrees. For the weekend, it looks like it will be lower 30’s and cloudy with occasional snow showers on Sunday.

East Lansing City Council terminates City Manager and votes Noel Garcia to fill vacancy

The East Lansing City Council moved to terminate City Manager George Lahanas’ employment contract with the city and voted former Lansing police Lt. Noel Garcia Jr. to fill in the council’s vacancy during their meeting Tuesday.

Lahanas, who has been city manager for almost 11 years, will no longer serve in the position following a separation agreement voted on by the board and signed by Lahanas himself.

When discussing the agreement, East Lansing Mayor Ron Bacon said there was nothing disparaging in Lahanas’ relationship with the council and the decision was based on the direction of things and what the council wants to see done. He said the agreement was made “out of respect.”

In the vote to fill the council’s vacancy, councilmembers initially tied in-favor of candidates Daniel Bollman and Garcia 2-to-2. Following deliberation, the board voted to elect Garcia in a 4-0 vote.

Councilmember Dana Watson said Garcia was her top choice for the position because of his work with the Independent Police Oversight Commission and the comfort his work provided when it came to the council’s communication with the East Lansing Police Department.

Bacon said his top choice was Garcia because of his focus on public safety.

The council will meet again on Jan. 24 at the Hannah Community Center.

ASMSU hopes to keep momentum in spring semester

Although spring semester can be seen as the start of the end for the academic year, ASMSU is ready to kick things into action and continue the momentum of its accomplishments from fall semester.

ASMSU defines itself as the undergraduate student government. Its main goal is to help represent students and advocate for issues as well as try and improve student life at Michigan State.

Its members come from different backgrounds and represent a part of the student body in some way. This has allowed for many different bills ranging from donor accountability to issues in certain sports programs.

ASMSU isn’t just about passing bills, though. ASMSU Chief of Staff Jack Harrison said this week’s service events are exciting opportunities.

He said he has high hopes based on the success of the fall semester. Some bills he’d like to see brought up are parking accessibility and lighting on crosswalks.

Over 200 student organizations showcase their passions at 2023 Springticipation

Over 200 registered student organizations, or RSOs, gathered in Michigan State University’s STEM building Tuesday for Springticipation. The event, held each semester, gives students an opportunity to engage with other students with similar hobbies or goals.

MSU Interim President Teresa Woodruff attended the event, where she talked and took pictures with different organizations. Woodruff said she was excited to be surrounded by so many students engaging.

Royal Encounters, one of MSU’s volunteer-based organizations, showed up to attract more members. Members dressed up as superheroes and princesses to attend events for sick, disabled or underprivileged children.

Here a few of the clubs available to students here at MSU…

First, The Outdoors Club is dedicated to exploring the nature. The club takes members on group outings and retreats, which english education junior Madelyn Turrill said allows people to step outside of their comfort zones.

Next, students looking to improve their artistic and writing skills might be interested in joining the Graphic Novels Club, zoology junior Alli Gregory said.

Finally, another option available open to students of all experience levels, Salsa Club is centered around learning the Latin dance.

“We have a lot of people come in from all different ages, all different areas of life,” Spanish senior Kaitlyn Wehner said. “You can not know how to dance at all and they teach you from the ground up,” Wehner said.

Based on original reporting by Hannah Holycross, Maddie Dallas and Jaden Beard.

To end our last episode of the week, here are a few announcements!

Here is the MSU home athletic line-up for the weekend…

Tomorrow

• Men’s Tennis will go up against Brown at 12 P.M. and Bellarmine at 4 P.M. at the MSU Tennis Indoor Facility.

Sunday

• Women’s Basketball will go up against Rutgers at 3 P.M. at the Breslin Center.
  • The Gymnastics team will face No. 3 Michigan at 7 P.M. at Jenison Field House.