Today’s weather forecast is predicting partly cloudy skies with a high of 67 degrees and a low of 51 degrees. Looking into the weekend it will be mid to high 70s with both days looking mostly sunny making it a beautiful weekend!

Students, community members gather to demonstrate solidarity with Iranian people

At 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 19, a group of students and community members gathered on Demonstration Field to show solidarity with the Iranian people following the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini and subsequent protests.

Amini was arrested in Tehran on an accusation of violating a mandatory hijab law. Three days after being taken into custody by the morality police, Iranian officials issued a statement saying she had suffered a heart attack, a claim her family disputes.

Shortly after hearing of her death, Iranian people, particularly women, erupted in protests over not just her death, but the religious laws that target women in particular.

The Iranian Students Association organized the event as a way to show solidarity with the protestors in Iran and bring attention to the situation.

Another large theme was the importance of educating people, especially MSU students, on what is happening in Iran.

Chemistry doctoral student Samin Aayanifard said it is frustrating when she doesn’t see news of Iran making headlines in all news outlets and when misinformation is spread. She said many people are unaware of what is going on or consider it just a Middle Eastern issue.

However, Aayanifard said that after witnessing the amount of people that have risen up, she is hopeful that that change will come to Iran.

‘It was one of the best decisions of my life’: MSU program prepares first generation students for college

Human biology freshman Erick Horta said joining Upward Bound of MSU during his freshman year of high school was one of the best decisions of his life.

Upward Bound works with first-generation and underrepresented students to prepare them for college. The program offers a wide range of activities including on-campus tutoring and summer classes, college preparation services like FAFSA assistance, guest speakers, community service and group trips.

The program offers a variety of educational and preparation resources, but it is also a community and a great place to make friends, Horta said. He said the program also gave him a lot of connections at MSU going into his freshman year.

Program Director Stephanie Anthony said programs like this are important because they provide exposure to college resources for students that might not experience it otherwise. She said the goal is to change the trajectory of students’ lives by building confidence.

Computer science sophomore Bilal Noori said, “To me, Upward Bound always felt like a family, it’s a community where I belong. They are very helpful and supportive of everything I do.”

“The Voice” contestant, Greater Lansing native Sadie Bass to perform in East Lansing

Small-town girl turned rising country music star Sadie Bass is returning to her roots for performances in the Greater Lansing area.

Bass grew up in Bath, a small town just outside of East Lansing with a population of roughly 3,000. She moved to Nashville, Tennessee two years ago, determined to get her start in the music industry. Since then, she has released four studio singles, her favorite of which being “Holy Ground” — a tribute to her home in Michigan.

Bass’ audition for The Voice has collected over 545,000 views on YouTube. After sharing her story of overcoming her stage fright to perform on the show, Bass chose Gwen Stefani – who has a history of stage fright herself – to be her coach over popular country star Blake Shelton. Her decision was a shock to even herself.

After performing in front of such large crowds, Bass is happy to be back in the comfort of her hometown, singing for a crowd of familiar faces.

Bass, along with Kathy Ford Band and PRIM, will perform at Oktoberfest at Block 36 apartments in East Lansing on Saturday, Oct. 22, from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. The event, hosted by Float Presents, will be complete with food trucks, a beer tent and vendors. MSU students will receive $5 off the admission price if they show their student ID.

Based on original reporting by Vivian Barrett, Hannah Woehrle and Miranda Dunlap.

To end our last episode of the week, here are a few announcements!

Here is the MSU Athletic line-up for the weekend…

Today

• Hockey will be playing Long Island University at 7 P.M. at Munn Ice Arena.

Tomorrow

• Hockey will be playing vs. Long Island University at 6 P.M.

Sunday

• Field Hockey will go against Miami (Ohio) at 12 P.M. on Ralph Young Field.
  • Women’s Soccer will play the Rutgers at 2 P.M. at Demartin Stadium.
  • Volleyball will go against Indiana at 2 P.M. at the Breslin Center.

For our last announcement, due to Michigan State University’s fall break on Monday and Tuesday and some occurring events happening Thursday and Friday of next week, The State will take a pause and will resume on October 31st.