Gianni Ferri decisive against Chicago State

Gianni Ferri and Greyson Mercer celebrate a goal against Chicago State University. Sept.12,2022 Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

Luca Melloni, Sports Editorial Assistant

EAST LANSING – Michigan State found its footing once again after being winless in its last four games. Senior forward Gianni Ferri inspired the Spartans to a 4-1 win over Chicago State University on Monday night.

“Winning is the most important thing,” Ferri said. “To be able to contribute after not being in the team for a while means everything to me.”

Ferri scored his first goal of the season and recorded an assist to propel MSU to a much-needed win before facing No. 4 Washington at the end of the week. 

The Spartans (2-3-1) came into Monday night’s game prepared to do whatever it took to win after drawing against Bowling Green State University on Sept.9. The Spartans left Cochrane Stadium with a 1-1 draw after 90 minutes.

MSU head coach Damon Rensing was pleased to see his team score goals after saying the team was struggling to find the back of the net earlier this week.

“We played a very good first half. Very sharp,” Rensing said. “We’ve been a little slow on it [scoring goals] to start the year, so hopefully this will help us get into a good rhythm.” 

Sophomore striker Greyson Mercer scored the first goal in the 25th minute off a corner kick delivered by freshman left-back Tyler Crawford. Mercer’s header quietly went past CSU goalkeeper Marco Seyfert to start the night for the Spartans. 

Seconds before halftime, Ferri scored the second goal of the game off a rebound from Will Perkins’ free-kick attempt from outside the 18-yard box. The Spartans would come out of the halftime break with a 2-0 lead. 

“We knew that a third goal would probably put the game away and we wanted to push for that without giving too much away,” Rensing said.

Ferri, who did not start the match, would be the secret behind MSU’s third goal, scored by freshman Jack Guggemos. Ferri’s right-footed lofted cross into the box found Guggemos, who headed it in comfortably past Seyfert. 

The former Okemos High School star Guggemos scored his second goal for the Spartans days after scoring his first against BGSU. 

“He [Guggemos] is really active so he finds himself in good spots,” Rensing said. 

Chicago State would get one back in the 70th minute after a misplaced pass by MSU left-back Conner George left CSU forward Niall Reid-Stephen with an open lane to goal. His low-driven shot went past goalkeeper Owen Finnerty, making it 3-1. 

MSU was awarded a penalty kick in the 82nd minute after midfielder Kellan Landefeld was taken down inside the box. Perkins stepped up to take it and the captain made no mistake, making it 4-1 to secure the game. 

“Scoring and seeing the boys happy makes the 4-1 on the scoreboard look really cool,” Perkins said. “We needed the momentum to go play a good game against Washington.”

The Spartans improve to 2-3-1 on the season and will travel to Seattle to play No. 4 Washington on Friday, Sept.16. Kickoff is scheduled for 10 p.m. Eastern time.