Gallacher joins score of Spartans in transfer portal

MSU defenseman Aiden Gallacher skates against Minnesota in 2019/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Cameron McClarren, Hockey Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING — Michigan State sophomore defenseman Aiden Gallacher has entered his name into the transfer portal. He joins fellow Spartans Adam Goodsir, Drew DeRidder and Christian Krygier in officially entering their names in the portal. 

Gallacher, a native of Rochester Hills, Michigan, played in 32 games this season, finishing with two points and 26 blocks. His lone goal came early in the season in a 2-0 home victory over Ferris State on Nov. 11. 

Gallacher also played in all but one game in the 2020-21 season where he finished with two assists and 16 blocked shots. Before coming to MSU, he played for the Youngstown Phantoms (USHL) and led the team’s defensive corps with 25 points in 46 games. 

MSU forward Aiden Gallacher (2) skates next to defenseman Dennis Cesana (22) during a game/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

With the announcement, MSU currently has five defenseman heading into the summer with the loss of seniors Dennis Cesana and Cole Krygier. Christian Krygier, another senior and a seventh round pick of the New York Islanders, entered his name into the portal earlier this week. 

Krygier, a native of Novi, Michigan, enters his name into the portal after a long four-season stint at MSU, according to multiple reports. He had 16 points in four seasons as a Spartan, with the 2021-22 season being his best scoring season with eight points. Krygier also amassed 207 penalty minutes at MSU and was a staple on the penalty-kill when on the ice. 

MSU currently has one incoming defenseman, freshman Matt Basgall. The Spartans are also set to return defenseman Nash Nienhuis, Powell Conner and Cal Dybicz for their junior seasons. Freshman David Gucciardi is also slated to return for his sophomore year.