Dj Spotlight of the Week: Nick

Paige Drob, Training Director

Nick is the host of Thee Hours O’ Power, 88.9’s metal specialty show. He dominates the airwaves during Impact prime time with his musical knowledge. Learn more about him in this week’s spotlight!

Where are you from?

Roseville, CA

Favorite song/album of 2021 

Radical – Every Time I Die

What made you decide to join The IMPACT and become a DJ?

Like most people, I grew up listening to the radio in the car with my parents and didn’t think much of it, it was just music. When I started becoming my own person in high school I rediscovered a love I had for music and I fell deep into rabbit hole after rabbit hole of countless weird subgenres. I felt like I had dug myself into a hole of sorts, but when I heard about IMPACT I thought “Wait, it’s a place for people like me!” All of my weird music knowledge and opinions became relevant and valid. And what more efficient way is there to tell everyone how much you love music than as a DJ beaming your voice directly into their car stereo?

What has been your best on-air experience?

My best on air experiences are ones where I get to talk about artists I love. For other groups I have some fun trivia or something but when I’m talking about an artist that means something to me I feel like I have a real opportunity to introduce someone to a new way of looking at a song or album. Perhaps whoever hears me can find some personal meaning where maybe they couldn’t before.

What is the best concert experience you have had? Why? 

Without a doubt the RBS show in San Jose this past summer. Essentially a triple headliner with the three biggest bands in the California hardcore scene right now, Sunami, Drain, and Gulch. My favorite part about watching these kinds of bands perform is the unmatched energy in the air at these shows that is all but tangible. RBS an outdoors show in the summer, along with the fact that is was my first show since 2019, made it an incredibly cathartic experience, and as a Californian and a hardcore kid, it made me immensely proud of my state and my scene. What a glorious return to shows.

How do you think working in radio will affect your future career and life?   

I think working in radio could open really interesting doors for me in my professional life. it could for anyone who’s interested, it’s not every day you get the opportunity to volunteer and get live DJ training and airtime with no prior experience.

Favorite Dining Hall? 

My controversial opinion here is Holden dining hall. It’s just upstairs from the station and is always very quiet, it makes for a wonderfully peaceful dinner with consistently good food (the spring rolls are addicting.)

Campus Squirrels or Campus Ducks?

Ducks forever. No I won’t explain.

Plan a dinner in East Lansing with any person dead or alive. Who would it be? Where would you go?

Philip Seymour Hoffman. Not only to pick his brain and hear his stories, but to witness his reaction seeing his own son act in a leading role in the newest Paul Thomas Anderson film, of whom the senior Hoffman was a muse of sorts. 

What is your comfort TV show?

Psych

Favorite College Memory?

My first night on campus was certainly a highlight but not quite how you’d expect. Moving in a day later than everyone else with a roommate I didn’t know, the exhaustion of moving in, and the emotional goodbye to my mom made me feel more alone than I ever had. In some random group chat for my building someone threw out a message to come to their room and hang out, having nothing better to do I decided to go. The people I met that night are now some of the closest friends I have on this campus and helped me through that really rough adjustment period.