Brown, Hall and Christie receive Big Ten honors

MSU+forward+Malik+Hall+drives+to+the+cup+for+a+bucket+during+the+Spartans+77-67+win+over+Maryland+on+March+6%2C+2022%2F+Photo+Credit%3A+MSU+Athletic+Communications+

MSU forward Malik Hall drives to the cup for a bucket during the Spartans’ 77-67 win over Maryland on March 6, 2022/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Manit Patel, General Assignment Reporter

EAST LANSING, Mich—Following the culmination of the regular season on Sunday, March 6, Michigan State had three players recognized for their efforts by the Big Ten media and coaches. 

Senior forward Gabe Brown was named as a third-team All-Big Ten selection by the coaches in the conference while earning an honorable mention nomination from the media. In addition, junior forward Malik Hall earned an honorable mention nomination from the coaches. Freshman guard Max Christie was named to the All-Big Ten Freshman team. 

Brown was honored after establishing himself as a leader in the locker room while leading the Spartans in scoring. Overall, he averaged 11.5 points per game along with 3.9 rebounds and 1.2 assists. Brown shot 41% from the field, along with a 37% 3-point shooting percentage. He scored in double figures for MSU 22 times this season, the best mark on the team.

MSU guard Max Christie (5) and forward Gabe Brown (44) high-five during the Spartans’ 71-69 win over Minnesota on Jan. 13, 2021/ Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

Hall, meanwhile, established himself as a reliable low post scorer and 3-point shooter. He led the Spartans with 17 points in Sunday’s 77-67 win over Maryland. Hall also scored 18 points in MSU’s 76-61 win over Indiana on Feb. 12 and 16 points in the Spartans’ 65-63 road win over the Terrapins on Feb. 1. 

During the regular season, he averaged 9.6 points per game to go with 4.7 rebounds and 1.1 assists. Hall shot a 53.8% field goal percentage, while shooting 48.3% from 3-point range. That 3-point percentage is second on the team amongst key contributors, only behind Tyson Walker at 52.5%

Guard Max Christie was named to the All-Conference Freshman Team after being one of the Spartans’ most versatile players this season. He was named as the Big Ten Freshman of the Week five times and scored in double figures 12 times, including a 21-point outburst in MSU’s 79-67 home win over Nebraska on Jan. 5. 

MSU forward Max Christie attempts a 3-pointer during the Spartans’ 77-67 win over Maryland on March 6, 2022/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

The five-star prospect also chipped in with 18 points in MSU’s 73-52 road win over Butler on Nov. 17 and 16 points in the Spartans’ buzzer-beating 71-69 win over Minnesota on Jan. 12.

He finished the season with an average of 9.3 points per game along with 3.4 rebounds and 1.5 assists. He shot 38% from the field, along with a 30.6% clip from deep. 

The Spartans are set to take on Maryland in the second round of the Big Ten tournament on Thursday at 6:30. MSU has already defeated the Terrapins twice this season but did get bounced by them 68-57 in the second round of last year’s Big Ten tournament.