The Board of Trustee Feb. 11 meeting review

The Michigan State Board of Trustees held its first meeting of the spring semester Feb. 11.

At the meeting revisions to the discipline and dismissal policy for tenured faculty and spring semester COVID-19 updates were discussed.

A task force were granted to review the institution’s discipline process and structure to check the appropriateness, clarity, implementation of sanctions for violations of the relationship violence and sexual misconduct policy, according to Provost Terresa Woodruff.

Also the task force looked at the timely manner of the disciplinary process and key barriers to assure a safe and respectful working environment.

Additionally, the board approved the authorization to plan biomedical animal resources and provisions of large animal imaging to the clinical center. The authorization to proceed with renovations to the Packaging Building was also approved.

IPF installs temporary fencing along Red Cedar to increase safety measures

MSU Infrastructure Planning and Facilities installed temporary fencing by the Red Cedar River along Beal Street and West Circle Drive following a change.org petition started by students at the end of January.

The petition was started after the body of missing Grand Valley State University student Brendan Santo was found in the river on Jan. 21.

Since the petition was posted back in January, it has received 20,580 signatures.

The temporary fence began its installation on Jan. 26 and it was completed on Feb. 7

According to Woodham, the design for the permanent fencing is in progress and will be completed during the summer.

Woodham explained parts of the river are steep so they wanted to make sure the campus community or visitors are safe while exploring campus.

The petition organizers urged MSU to place more protection to prevent any other tragedies along the Red Cedar River.

Duel in the D Hockey Game

Michigan State hockey was handed its 10th straight loss this weekend as Michigan completed the series sweep in the ‘Duel of the D’ classic.

The Spartans were demolished in a chaotic second period that saw seven quickfire goals between both squads.

In the middle of the second period, senior defenseman, Christian Krygier took a boarding hit from Michigan forward Mark Estepa and gave MSU a five minute power play which sent Estepa to the locker room early.

While facing a two-goal deficit MSU decided this was a perfect opportunity to get back into the match. But it didn’t turn out smooth, the Spartans handled the puck aggressively with Michigan’s speed and hockey intelligence maximized with a pair of shorthanded goals.

But the Spartans didn’t fall to the pressure, the power play was still alive and MSU kept going.

MSU returned for the final four games of the season versus Notre Dame and Penn State.

Based on original reporting by Maddy Warren and Sam Sklar. Script by Shakyra Mabone.