BSA to Host Their Second Annual Black Love Week

The Black Student Alliance known as “BSA” will be hosting their second annual Black Love Week starting Feb. 7 to Feb. 11 in collaboration with several student organizations on campus.

This year’s theme, “The Black Playlist” was inspired by how impactful music can be in relationships.

The president of BSA, Kenneth Franklin said music brings people together so they wanted to highlight that for this year’s Black Love Week.

BSA started the week with a Red Table Talk, with a discussion panel that celebrates black love and had various guests such as members of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., Curlfriends, and other student organizations.

BSA is hosting more events throughout this week with more student organizations.
Such as an interactive discussion about mental health with MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services, Black Girl Fitness and their self love themed workout session, ballroom class with Royal Dance Movement, and a date auction.

Another event hosted by BSA is the Chocolate Rose Ball. This is a formal event and students are encouraged to dress up.

A king, queen, or monarch will be crowned for R.O.S.E and first and second place runner-ups will receive various scholarships.

5 Black Women-Owned Businesses in the Lansing Area to Support this Month

Black History Month is officially underway, and you can help celebrate and fight environmental racism by supporting these five Black women-owned businesses.
CoCo’s Off the Rack, Sweet Encounter Bakery and Cafe, DNB Boutique, Socialight Society, and Meika’s Boutique N more.

Colleen “CoCo” Adams has been running her Off the Rack fashion business in East Lansing for 10 years, and said that the importance of being a female business owner is putting her unique femininity into her work.

Next, we have Sweet Encounter Bakery and Cafe owner Nikki Thompson Frazier who specializes in soy, gluten, peanut free and vegan desserts. She said the best part of owning a business is creating a relationship with the community.

Frazier also said it is important to support minority and women-owned businesses because they don’t always get the same funding as male counterparts.

Leah Johnson announced as next MSU Volleyball coach

On Monday afternoon, Michigan State Athletics announced the hiring of Leah Johnson as head volleyball coach.

Johnson joins the Spartans after five seasons at Illinois State. She will replace former MSU head coach Cathy George, who retired in January after 16 years at MSU.

Johnson has spent the last five seasons with Illinois State leading the Redbirds to a 104-53 record and four NCAA tournaments.

Johnson said that she was humbled and excited by the opportunity to lead the Michigan State volleyball program and also thanked Vice President and Director of Athletics Alan Haller for entrusting the successful team built by Cathy George.

Haller stated that Johnson’s competitive nature and determination is evident in all areas of her program with having passion for her student-athletes.

Based on original reporting by Janelle James, Miranda Dunlap, and Jared Ramsey. Script by Shakyra Mabone.