Spartans land four-star WR Germie Bernard

MSU head coach Mel Tucker high-fives defensive tackle Simeon Barrow during the Spartans’ 31-21 Peach Bowl victory over Pittsburgh on Dec. 30, 2021/ Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

Carter Landis, General Assignment Reporter

EAST LANSING, Mich— Michigan State has landed a commitment from wide receiver Germie Bernard, he announced on his Twitter Sunday afternoon. Bernard was released from his national letter of intent from Washington on Jan. 5 after the Huskies’ wide receiver coach, Junior Adams, took the co-offensive coordinator and WR coach position at the University of Oregon. Bernard had been committed to Washington since July of 2020. 

Bernard, ranked as a four-star receiver from Henderson, Nevada, was offered by Spartans’ wide receiver coach Courtney Hawkins and offensive coordinator Jay Johnson on Jan. 5 after Washington released him from his NLI. He quickly picked up a Crystal Ball prediction to Michigan State that same day from 247Sports’ Blair Angulo. Bernard is ranked as the No. 220 overall player in the 2022 recruiting class, as well as the No. 5 overall player from the state of Nevada and the No. 33 overall wide receiver recruit. 

He was named as the Nevada Gatorade Player of the Year in 2021 after notching 53 receptions for 956 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also ran the ball 37 times for 452 yards and had three punt returns and one kick return for touchdowns.

Before initially committing to Washington, Bernard held offers from Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Utah, Miami (FL), Arizona State, Oregon and others. Bernard is the sixth four-star that Tucker has landed in the 2022 class, and he has the third-highest composite ranking behind defensive tackle Alex VanSumeren and quarterback Katin Houser.

Those six four-star commitments are as many as the Spartans had between the 2018-21 recruiting classes combined. With Bernard in the fold, MSU’s 2022 class is rated by 247Sports as the No. 17 overall class in the nation and No. 4 in the Big Ten.

Houser was also instrumental in bringing Bernard to MSU; the pair played high school ball together for two years before Houser transferred to St. John Bosco in California.

Bernard is a 6-foot-2, 195-pound receiver from Liberty High School in Henderson, Nevada. He is a skilled route runner and gives the MSU offense an intermediate weapon who excels with getting yards after the catch and gaining early separation across the middle.

He is the fourth wide receiver commitment for head coach Mel Tucker within the 2022 class, along with fellow four-star Antonio Gates Jr. from Dearborn, Tyrell Henry from Roseville and Jaron Glover from Sarasota, Florida. His addition helped relieve the loss of Jalen Nailor, who declared for the 2022 NFL Draft.