Tucker lands All-Mountain West LB Jacoby Windmon

MSU+head+coach+Mel+Tucker+intently+watches+the+clock+in+the+Spartans+31-13+win+over+Rutgers+on+Oct.+9%2C+2021%2F+Photo+Credit%3A+MSU+Athletic+Communications+

MSU head coach Mel Tucker intently watches the clock in the Spartans’ 31-13 win over Rutgers on Oct. 9, 2021/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Carter Landis, General Assignment Reporter

EAST LANSING, Mich—MSU head coach Mel Tucker and his coaching staff have continued to do work in the transfer portal, landing UNLV linebacker Jacoby Windmon. Windmon is the second player to commit to the Spartans through the portal in the 2021 cycle, the other being former Wisconsin running back Jalen Berger.

Windmon entered the transfer portal on Nov. 28 and picked up an offer from the Spartans shortly after. He attended the Spartans’ basketball game against Toledo with Tucker on his visit to Michigan State last weekend. He was a highly sought after player in the portal, receiving offers from teams such as Texas, Penn State, Minnesota, and Indiana, among others. 

Windmon, a 6-foot-2, 230-pound linebacker from Marrero, Louisiana, was named second-team All-Mountain West this past season after recording 118 total tackles, 11 tackles for loss, and 6.5 sacks. His 118 total tackles was good for third in the Mountain West. He recorded 169 total tackles in his career at UNLV; Windmon was ranked as 247sports.com’s 14th best transfer portal prospect. 

Windmon’s strengths are his ability to rush the passer as well as his closing sideline-to-sideline speed. He shows impressive strength getting off opposing tackles. He can diagnose the run and hit running backs in the backfield, as well as cover them in the passing game. Windmon will have two years of eligibility to play with the Spartans. 

Tucker has upgraded the Spartans’ linebacker room through the portal, adding to an already strong position group that features All-Big Ten honorable mention Quavaris Crouch, as well as Maxwell Football Club Freshman All-American Cal Haladay and 2021 four-star Ma’a Gaoteote. The Spartans have also targeted Florida LB Khris Bogle and Mississippi State LB Aaron Brule through the transfer portal.