MSU S Emmanuel Flowers enters the transfer portal

MSU head coach Mel Tucker during the Spartans’ 30-27 win over Penn State on Nov. 27, 2021/Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

Carter Landis, General Assignment Reporter

EAST LANSING, Mich—Michigan State senior defensive back Emmanuel Flowers has entered the transfer portal Monday as a graduate transfer. 

Flowers is the fifth Spartan to enter his name into the portal in 2021, and second since the regular season came to a conclusion. He participated in senior festivities on Saturday and played in MSU’s 30-27 victory against Penn State.

Flowers, a 6-foot-2 safety from Chino Hills, California, committed to the Spartans in February of 2017. He was a 3-star prospect and was the No. 1710 overall player in his recruiting class, according to 247Sports. Flowers was recruited by current defensive backs coach Harlon Barnett. 

After redshirting in 2017, Flowers began to carve out more of a niche as a special teams ace in 2019. He recorded his first collegiate tackle in 2019 in a victory against Northwestern and  appeared in 11 games in 2019. 

MSU linebacker Ban VanSumeren (13) walks out of the tunnel next to safety Emmanuel Flowers (20)/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Flowers played primarily on special teams throughout his career, but saw some snaps at safety in the secondary in 2021. He finished his senior season with three total tackles; Flowers appeared in 30 games throughout his four years in East Lansing, recording seven total tackles. 

Flowers is the third Spartan defensive back to enter his name in the transfer portal, with seniors Michael Dowell and Kalon Gervin announcing their intentions to play elsewhere next season earlier this year. At his position, senior Xavier Henderson and sophomore Angelo Grose saw a majority of snaps at the safety spots. 

Flowers is a graduate transfer, so he will spend his final year of eligibility playing elsewhere.