MSU cornerback Kalon Gervin transfers to Wisconsin

MSU+cornerback+Kalon+Gervin+points+in+the+Spartans+38-21+road+win+over+Northwestern+on+Sept.+3%2F+Photo+Credit%3A+MSU+Athletic+Communications+

MSU cornerback Kalon Gervin points in the Spartans’ 38-21 road win over Northwestern on Sept. 3/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Zach Surdenik, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING — A former Michigan State cornerback is staying in the Big Ten as Kalon Gervin announced that he is committing to the University of Wisconsin on Twitter on Tuesday.

The former four-star recruit who played for Detroit Cass Tech started multiple games for MSU this season but put his name in the transfer portal on Sept. 26 after his playing time was limited to special team’s in MSU’s win over Nebraska.

247Sports rated Gervin as the No. 2 overall recruit within the state of Michigan and the No. 20 overall cornerback prospect in the nation within the 2018 recruiting class. In addition to Wisconsin and MSU, he was originally offered out of high school by notable schools including Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, Oregon, Oklahoma, Florida, Kentucky, LSU, Penn State, Ole Miss, West Virginia, Iowa State, Mississippi State and Indiana.

In his career with the Spartans, Gervin played in 23 games (nine starts) and made 44 tackles. The cornerback was a co-leader of the team in pass break-ups last season (four). He started in six of the Spartans’ seven games in 2020, having missed the Indiana game.

MSU cornerback Kalon Gervin during the second week of 2021 fall camp/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Gervin’s move to the Badgers will keep him in the Big Ten, as well as on the Spartans’ upcoming schedule. MSU is set to host Wisconsin for Homecoming in a cross-divisional matchup on Oct. 8, 2022. 

MSU has dealt with the highs and lows of the transfer portal over the past year with key players such as running back Kenneth Walker III and linebacker Quavaris Crouch among the 20 transfers joining the team, but also losing 29 players from the 2020 season, including Gervin and linebacker Chase Kline.