MSU forward Jordyn Wickes receives Big Ten Freshman of the Week Honors

MSU+forward+Jordyn+Wickes+dribbles+the+ball+in+the+Spartans+1-0+win+over+Central+Michigan+on+Aug.+26%2C+2021%2F+Photo+Credit%3A+MSU+Athletic+Communications+

MSU forward Jordyn Wickes dribbles the ball in the Spartans’ 1-0 win over Central Michigan on Aug. 26, 2021/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, Sports Broadcast Director

EAST LANSING— After scoring a game-winning goal against Iowa on Oct. 3, Michigan State women’s soccer forward Jordyn Wickes received Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors on Tuesday afternoon.

She also collected an assist on redshirt freshman Justina Gaynor’s game-tying goal in the 71st minute vs. Nebraska on Sept. 30. The game would end in a 2-2 tie.

Wickes, who scored her goal in the 80th minute of MSU’s narrow 2-1 road victory over Iowa, is currently third on the team with six points and two goals. Her two assists are also tied for the best mark on the team alongside fifth-year forward Ava Cook.

MSU forward Jordyn Wickes attempts to regain possession in the Spartans’ 1-0 home loss to Wisconsin on Sept. 23 2021/ Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

It was the first goal that Wickes has scored since the Spartans’ season-opening 4-0 win over Detroit Mercy, an 11-game stretch.

Overall, Wickes has started in three games, more than any other freshman, and has appeared in all 12 games for MSU. She, alongside goaltender Lauren Kozal (who received Conference Goalkeeper of the Week Honors on Sept. 21), are two major reasons why the Spartans are 8-1-3 on the season with a 3-1-1 Big Ten record.

That 3-1-1 conference record is tied for third in the conference with Northwestern. The Spartans are returning home to square off against 7-5-2 Ohio State on Sunday, Oct. 10. The Buckeyes, sporting a 2-2 Big Ten record, are coming off a 2-1 home loss to No. 9 Rutgers on Oct.3 and a 1-1 double-overtime tie vs. Indiana on Sept. 30