I Got Your Back Here, Bro | TWRP Live at El Club

TWRP performed the first show of their Digital Nightmare tour on April 1 at El Club in Detroit. Short for Tupperware Remix Party, this ‘80s band from the future is known for high-energy and righteous music. They transcend time and space, but they are based in Toronto. Jazz fusion and funk music with a healthy dose of synth makes up their discography. Personally, I have been in love with them since the first time I listened to “The Hit” back in 2015.

I had been living in anticipation of this show for months. When my friends and I pulled up, we saw a line around the block starting in front of the tour bus at the club. It was a rather intimate venue, and this was intensified by the show having sold out. We noticed that a few fellow fans were wearing a strange orange shirt. At least, it was strange to me since I had never seen TWRP live before. The shirts featured a face apparently called GROB. This is a very important detail. Trust me.

In the club, we waited for the opening acts: nelward and Trey Magnifique. I wasn’t really prepared for what they’d deliver. First, nelward came out by himself. I loved his energy. I think his performance perfectly hyped up the crowd, especially with two runs of “I Hope My Pants Don’t Fall Down” broken up by a longer track. Altogether, he managed to be captivating for his whole performance. I could say the same about Trey Magnifique, but I’d rather not. He did captivate me, but in a funnier way. This performer has a habit of antagonizing the crowd. I had fun during his set though. It was also a nice change of pace before the main event.

TWRP debuted four songs from their new album, Digital Nightmare, where the world we’ve made online has crept into reality. In following with the album’s theme, Doctor Sung, the band’s frontman, continuously pleaded to the audience for more noise, more engagement and more support. According to him, the corporate overlords that hired him were watching. The new management enforced microtransactions on the performance. The band would even be interrupted between songs. A “revolutionary” contactless payment facilitated by the Good Robot Boy — GROB — would allow them to continue. 

Towards the end of the show, the Doctor faced a dreaded performance review. Unfortunately, he’d run out of Grobcoin! He shouted out, “Anyone in the audience with a Grobcard, please hold it up!” To my surprise, a bunch of hands went up holding the very same card the Doctor was using for payment. Someone from the front row became my hero that night, as it was their hard-earned Grobcoin that let the show go on. This narrative was fun to be a part of. Rest assured, I’m not forgetting my Grobcard next time. 

The setlist was a mix of old and new, including a medley that made my heart soar. I lost count of how many times the Doctor flipped his keytar. I don’t wanna spoil the ending, but I will never forget when bassist Commander Meouch said, “The minutes have not been kind to you.” Some of the older tunes turned around for me. For example, “Bright Blue Sky” from New & Improved used to be a flop, but after hearing it live, I have a new love for it. Like my other favorites from them, this song is now an awesome motivator. 

When I’m alone, it can be difficult for me to know just how much the people in my life are there to back me up. Anytime I need that love, I know I can go to them or call them up. However, TWRP’s music gives me that opportunity without having to stop my workflow. I feel that love in their music. They sing:

“Brother don’t you, don’t give up now /

Chin up now I am here to help you out /

I just want you to know /

I got your back here, bro.”

Whether it’s the weight of the world or the longing for love, TWRP continues to be a source of inspiration. Failure can be draining, but their songs revitalize me. I know there is kindness within everyone, and TWRP reminds me that everyone is worthy of love and respect. As a final note, I danced my ass off in that cramped club, and I don’t like dancing.