Michigan State football prepares for ‘Spring Showcase’ with practice scrimmage

Jack Moreland
MSU’s new head football coach Johnathan Smith addresses the media at his introductory press conference on Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at the Breslin Center.

EAST LANSING – On Saturday, Michigan State football participated in their first scrimmage of the spring, which tested the player’s ability to make in-game decisions. MSU defensive coordinator Joe Rossi thinks the talent in the linebacker room showed out during the scrimmage.

“You have practice and it’s done one play at a time, ‘hey it’s first down, it’s second down’. It’s all scripted right?,” Rossi said. “You get into a scrimmage, it’s more of a true game-like feel where you’re putting the ball down and you’re playing.”

Rossi was adamant about seeing his players in pressured moments, without it being a controlled environment.

With the addition of head coach Jonathan Smith and his staff, the offense has changed for the Spartans, but the defensive scheme is where the integration of a new style is the most important.

“It’s going to take time,” Rossi said. “They’ve got to be able to have a new verbiage, new fundamentals, and techniques that they have to be able to put together. It’s a race to get that done as quickly as possible.”

Defensive line coach Legi Suiaunoa is set on building a new scheme for the Spartans. Sophomore defensive lineman Jalen Thompson is excited about the challenge of a more fast-paced role in the new defensive style.

“The difference from last year is I play a rusher who also drops back in coverage,” Thompson said. “It’s like a linebacker but on the front line, compared to last year being in a three-point defensive stance.”

With the changes to the Spartans’ style of play, each player is adjusting. Especially Thompson and the defensive front.

“I’m really taking in every little detail listening to coach,” Thompson said. “This scheme is more fast-paced, coming from a slower play style from last season. Getting used to that pace is the biggest adjustment.”

MSU’s spring practices come to a close with the spring showcase on April 20 at 2 p.m. in Spartan Stadium.

“The best part of spring is that we don’t have to get ready to play physically in a game. Our main focus is development and then teaching what the fundamentals are here,” Suiaunoa said.