Michigan State baseball rolls past Niagara, 9-0

Sarah Smith
Mitch Jebb during the 2022 MSU baseball season. Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

EAST LANSING – Michigan State baseball was back in action at McLane Stadium for the first game of a weekend series against the Niagara Purple Eagles. The Spartans defeated Niagara 9-0 courtesy of a four-run fifth inning to improve to 13-14 on the season and earned their first shutout win since the 2022 season.

“I thought we played very well today, we played well defensively,” said MSU head coach Jake Boss. “Our pitching I thought was outstanding, really good outing by Joseph [Dzierwa], a lot of positives today.”

Entering the fifth inning, the Spartans led the Purple Eagles 2-0 after senior outfielder Greg Ziegler and freshman center fielder Landen Lozier were hit by pitches.

A double to right center by junior first baseman Nick Williams extended the Spartans’ lead to 3-0 with senior outfielder Jack Frank scoring the run

A wild pitch by graduate pitcher Liam Reynolds for the Purple Eagles also allowed Williams and freshman infielder Ryan McKay to score. Lozier singled to center to cap off a four-run bottom of the fifth for the Spartans, as they led 6-0 after five innings of play.

In the seventh inning, the Spartans’ success continued. Lozier delivered again with another single to center, and senior third baseman Dillon Kark also singled to extend the MSU lead to 9-0.

Sophomore pitcher Joseph Dzierwa shined in the win, allowing no runs, and five hits, and recorded nine strikeouts in seven innings pitched.

Offensively, MSU was led by Landen Lozier, who went 2 for 4 with four RBIs. Dillon Kark and Nick Williams also contributed with an RBI.

“I think it’s important to extend him a little bit more, he’s in good enough shape to do it,” said Boss. “It’s good to get to get him deep enough into the game with that amount of pitches.”

The Spartans have now extended their win streak to three and look to extend their streak in the second matchup against Niagara on Saturday. First pitch is set for 3:35 p.m.

“They’re [Niagara] tough, they’re hard nosed, they’re scrappy, we’re gonna get a good effort out of those guys tomorrow,” said Coach Boss. “We need to be ready to play tomorrow and I feel good that our guys will be ready to go.”