Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Michigan State baseball rallies late, downs Evansville 6-5 to take opening series

Sarah Smith
Trent Farquhar during the 2022 MSU baseball season. Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

EAST LANSING – The Michigan State baseball team concluded their three-game opening weekend series against Evansville on Sunday afternoon, with the series on the line following Saturday’s 5-3 loss in extra innings. The Spartans looked to get back on track at McLane Stadium after they struggled at the plate, facing Evansville  freshman starter Kenton Deverman in the loss. 

After head coach Jake Boss expressed disappointment in his team’s missed opportunities after Saturday’s loss, the Spartans looked fired up and got on the board early. A two-run, two-out double from freshman second baseman Ryan McKay gave Michigan State a 2-0 lead, as MSU continued to build early momentum.

“Ryan McKay got an opportunity at second base because of an injury to Jacob Anderson, and he’s really made the most of it,” Boss said. “He’s playing extremely well right now, both offensively and defensively.”

In the third inning, the MSU bats caught fire, as Dillon Kark smacked a double into left field. The next batter, Jack Frank, ripped a triple to the center field hill to score Kark, and extend the Spartan lead to three runs. 

For the second straight day, Michigan State squandered a three-run lead, spearheaded by a three-run sixth inning for the Purple Aces off of freshman Gavin Moczydlowski. Moczydlowski replaced Spartan starter Nick Ferazzi, and struggled in relief. Kip Fougerousse and Brendan Hord both hit home runs off of Moczydlowski, with Hord’s blast giving the Purple Aces a 5-4 lead. Dominic Pianto relieved Moczydlowski with two outs in the sixth inning, and got out of a two-on, two-out jam. 

Graduate pitcher Nick Ferazzi recorded his first start of the season for the Spartans, and impressed in his opening campaign. Ferazzi fanned four Evansville batters in five innings pitched, allowing six hits and one walk. The graduate pitcher allowed just two runs and only one of which was earned. 

The snow in East Lansing was not the only thing providing flurries though, as the Michigan State offense came back from a 5-4 deficit, after MSU scored three of its runs in the opening three frames. The Spartans  scored two eighth-inning runs on back-to-back doubles by Nick Williams and McKay to tie the game at five. With the bases loaded and two outs, the Spartans turned to junior Noah Bright to face Evansville closer Max Hansmann. Hansmann walked Bright to score McKay to give MSU a 6-5 lead, and a victory.

McKay went 2-4 for MSU with three RBIs in the victory, while senior infielder Dillon Kark went 3-4, scoring two runs.

“I’m really blessed that Coach Boss trusts me to put me in those opportunities, but also the older guys, they trust me and help me with everything,” McKay said. “Before my last at-bat, Jack Frank was telling me all of the pitches he thinks he’s going to throw me and that helps me a lot. To have Coach Boss and all the older guys’ trust means a lot to me.”

With the win, Michigan State improved to 7-10, with a Wednesday date with Purdue-Fort Wayne at McLane Stadium on the horizon.