Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Robots With Passion | “A Human’s Touch” by TWRP (feat. McKenna Rae)

I love funky feel-good music. Unsurprisingly, Tupperware Remix Party is my favorite band. Their rock operettas have the power and the passion to inspire me. Their synthetic and sunny sound is full of awesome rhythms and banging harmonies. This song came as a surprise to me. TWRP released a new single on March 1 in anticipation of their upcoming Digital Nightmare tour. 

“A Human’s Touch” explores a new style for the group. Themes from their music often underscore the groovy aspects of life — y’know, those daily blessings that bring a smile to your face — though this single laments for a lost love. Despite the departure from optimism, the group does not disappoint when it comes to the music. The interplay between voices pleads for their partner to do right. The vibe of “A Human’s Touch” is reminiscent of “Lay All Your Love On Me” by ABBA. The piano adds a desperate tension to the sound. The duet is a testament to TWRP’s talent, as well as the featured artist McKenna Rae. The verses feature sequences of a descending melody that entrance the listener as the bass pushes forward. The bridge crests the wave of anguish, and the moment of the chorus is met with a major chord that relaxes the tension. 

In a world of instant gratification, where happiness is promised just a tap away, space for exploration and impressions is severely limited. Ultimately, this song is about expectations. The characters use one another and drain themselves. I feel for the characters in this song. When you see you’ve gone too far and crossed a line — that is what this song feels like. Having to adapt to change can be messy in my experience. Hiding from each other proves challenging after you’ve limited the amount of yourself willing to learn. People aren’t robots. We have emotions that run deep and imprint on the mind. At least half of the members of TWRP are robots, I think. They are electrifying with their musical choices and passionate in their performance.