The “Scrap” for Techno: An Interview with Carl Craig
Jovana Nagj, Co-host of Terminally Online • May 2, 2024

MSU gymnastics clinches back-to-back titles at B1G Five Meet

MSU+senior+Delanie+Harkness+led+the+Spartans+on+bars+with+a+score+of+9.925+against+no.+25+Illinois+on+Friday%2C+Feb.+9%2C+2024+at+Jenison+Field+House.+
Avery Kotel
MSU senior Delanie Harkness led the Spartans on bars with a score of 9.925 against no. 25 Illinois on Friday, Feb. 9, 2024 at Jenison Field House.

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – On Friday, Feb. 23, No. 8 Michigan State gymnastics traveled to Penn State to compete in the Big Five Meet. The Spartans faced off against No. 14 Ohio State, No. 15 Minnesota, No. 23 Nebraska and Rutgers. 

The Spartans earned a score of 197.275 to claim their second-straight Big Ten regular season title. Michigan State is only the second program in the Big Ten to win consecutive titles and the fourth to go undefeated in conference action.

MSU’s dominant victory on Friday night marks their third consecutive victory in the Big Five Meet.

Michigan State started the night on vault, earning a score of 49.450, the team’s second-best score of the season in that category and fourth best all time. Nikki Smith led the Spartans in the event earning a 9.975 and taking the event title.

The Spartans scored 49.225 on the bars which dropped them behind Minnesota to close the second rotation. The bars were led by junior Skyla Schulte, sophomore Nikki Smith and senior Delanie Harkness all scoring 9.900s to place second in the event.  

With a score of 49.125 on beam, the Spartans jumped back into the lead before a bye in the fourth rotation. During that time Minnesota ended the night with a 196.900. Ohio State equalized the scores at 147.800 with all to play for in the final rotation.

The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes on floor, scoring a 49.475. Elle Beaufait and MaKayla Tucker both had career-highs, scoring 9.925 and 9.900 respectively to crown off the night.  

For the second season in a row, the Spartans will go into the Big Ten Championship as the No. 1 seed.

MSU will return home to Jenison Field House to host New Hampshire in non action play Friday, Mar. 1 for the annual Pink Meet.