No. 10 MSU remains undefeated in Big Ten after win against No. 25 Illinois

MSU+senior+Delanie+Harkness+led+the+Spartans+on+bars+with+a+score+of+9.925+against+no.+25+Illinois+on+Friday%2C+Feb.+9%2C+2024+at+Jenison+Field+House.+
Avery Kotel
MSU senior Delanie Harkness led the Spartans on bars with a score of 9.925 against no. 25 Illinois on Friday, Feb. 9, 2024 at Jenison Field House.

EAST LANSING – No. 10 Michigan State gymnastics hosted No. 25 Illinois on Friday night for another Big Ten matchup.

The Spartans traveled back to East Lansing after a historical weekend, where they defeated the Michigan Wolverines in Ann Arbor for the first time since 1990 with a program record road score of 198.050.

The Spartans kept their win streak alive, defeating the Fighting Illini, 197.475 – 196.275.

“We are sitting in a really good place right now at week six…very happy that we were able to come back here at only our second home meet of the season and get a 197,” MSU head coach Mike Rowe said.

The Spartans kicked off the meet on vault, with their overall score of 49.350, giving them an early lead over the Fighting Illini. MSU sophomore Sage Kellerman scored the overall high score on vault, recording a 9.925.

On bars, MSU added 49.200 to their total score to increase the lead against Illinois, 98.550 – 97.900 halfway through the meet. MSU senior Delanie Harkness earned the high score on bars with a 9.925.

Junior Gabrielle Stephen earned a 9.925 on beam to lead the Spartans to a 49.400 on the event. Illinois’ Mia Takekawa had the overall high score on the beam with a 9.950.

The final and best event of the night for the Spartans was the floor. Sophomore Nikki Smith earned a 9.950 for the highest floor score of the night. Stephen, Harkness, and freshman MaKayla Tucker all scored 9.900 for MSU to end with a floor score of 49.525.

“It is nice to know that we can still build on each event,” Rowe said. “I am proud of what they accomplished.”

Junior Skyla Schulte ended with the all-around high score of 39.475, with Stephen coming in second with a 39.425. Illinois’ Abby Mueller came in third all-around with a 39.150.

MSU remains undefeated in Big Ten play with a 4-0 record (7-3 overall). The Spartans will stay home next weekend to face Maryland on Sunday, Feb. 18 for their final Big Ten dual meet of the season.