PREVIEW: Michigan State set for road test against Minnesota

Jack Moreland
MSU redshirt-freshman quarterback Katin Houser throws a pass against Michigan on Saturday, October 21, 2023 at Spartan Stadium.

MINNEAPOLIS – Michigan State football (2-5) will be on the road in Week 9 of the college football season, where they will take on the Minnesota Golden Gophers (4-3) at Huntington Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. 

MSU comes into the matchup losers of five straight games, including a 49-0 loss to No. 2  Michigan on Saturday, Oct. 21 at Spartan Stadium, the largest home loss in program history. 

As the Spartans try to put the blowout loss against their rival behind them, it won’t come any easier by going on the road against a Minnesota team that upset No. 24 Iowa 12-10 on the road last week, with its defense holding the Hawkeyes to only 127 yards of offense. 

Minnesota’s offense ranks 121st out of 130 FBS schools. Led by redshirt junior quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis, the Gophers’ first-year starter has only thrown for 923 yards, six touchdowns and six interceptions, with a quarterback rating of 54.1. 

Freshman running back Darius Taylor has stepped up in a big way for Minnesota’s offense. Taylor has rushed for 591 yards on the season with four touchdowns, while winning Big Ten Freshman of the Week three times so far this season. 

Michigan State will be without redshirt senior offensive lineman Spencer Brown in the first half of the game, after he was called for targeting against Michigan last week. 

Despite the Spartans’ struggles this season, Minnesota has had its share of adversities, with losses coming to Northwestern, and getting blown out against Michigan, 52-10.  

As redshirt freshman quarterback Katin Houser gets set to make his third career start, he will look to improve from his underwhelming performance against Michigan, throwing for 101 yards and an interception. Minnesota’s pass rush could be an issue without Brown, along with junior offensive lineman Keyshawn Blackstock, who entered the transfer portal earlier this week. The Gophers’ defense ranks 42nd in total defense, only allowing 338 yards per game. 

Kickoff from Huntington Bank Stadium is set for 2:30 p.m. CT, with Matt Merrifield and Zac Slowik on the call on impact89fm.org.