PREVIEW: Michigan State football set for road matchup at Rutgers

MSU acting head coach Harlon Barnett looks on as the Spartans trail the Washington Huskies late in the fourth quarter on September 16, 2023 at Spartan Stadium.

EAST LANSING – Michigan State football (2-3) returns to the gridiron for a matchup with the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (4-2) for a noon kickoff on Saturday, Oct. 14 at SHI Stadium. 

The Spartans come off of their bye week losers of three straight games, as interim head coach Harlon Barnett looks to pick up his first win at the helm for MSU football. 

“I think it would be great for us to get a win, and for the guys,” Barnett said. “It would do a lot for us. The guys are working hard. I really want to get a win for those guys.”

At the quarterback position, it remains to be seen who will be trotting out on the opening possession for Michigan State. Redshirt junior quarterback Noah Kim has struggled so far in 2023, throwing for 1,090 yards, six touchdowns, and six interceptions. Despite the calls to start redshirt freshman Katin Houser, Barnett has yet to announce who starts Saturday. 

“We know what we’re going to do, and we feel good about it. We will see on Saturday,” Barnett said. 

Rutgers comes into the matchup off a 24-13 loss to Wisconsin, and are fighting for bowl eligibility as its schedule gets tougher, with matchups against Penn State and Ohio State on the horizon. The Scarlet Knights are led by junior running back Kyle Monangai, who has 487 yards and six touchdowns this season. 

Under center for the Scarlet Knights is junior quarterback Gavin Wimsatt, another scrambling QB the Spartans will face this season. Wimsatt will try to beat his opponents on the ground, so the Spartans defense will have to make him throw the ball for an increased chance of snapping their three game losing streak. 

You can listen to the game on 88.9 FM, or impact89fm.org at noon, with Joseph DesVergnes and Matt Merrifield on the call.