Behind the vest: September is National Service Dog Month

Mackenzie McElroy’s service dog Rocky sits on her lap. They go almost everywhere together, including on a recent trip to Brazil. Photo Credit: Claire Bacarella/WDBM

Labor Day is not the only September holiday people are celebrating, September is also National Service Dog Month.

Michigan nonprofit Canines for Change is celebrating the occasion by continuing to train and provide service dogs for people with disabilities to empower them to live independently. Executive Director Nikki Brown founded the organization in 2005.

“Service dogs by law have to do three commandable tasks to help the person with their disability,” Brown said. “So for our clients who have epilepsy, for example, we teach the dogs to go get help in response to the person having a seizure.”

Mars Woodbury is one of the dog trainers working behind the scenes for Canines for Change and also serves as their marketing director. Woodbury was among those who brought Canines for Change dogs to Michigan State University’s campus to interact with students following the events of Feb. 13.

MSU students may not only have Mackenzie McElroy as a classmate, but also her dog Rocky. Rocky assists McElroy in her everyday needs as a person who deals with panic disorder.

Listen to hear from these individuals on why service dogs need to be celebrated and all they have to offer the people they help.