BREAKING: Mel Tucker suspended indefinitely without pay pending Title IX investigation

MSU head coach Mel Tucker looks on during the 2022 spring game on April 16, 2022/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

EAST LANSING – Michigan State head football coach Mel Tucker has been suspended without pay, the university announced in a press conference on Sunday afternoon. 

The move, announced by MSU athletic director Alan Haller, comes after a report was published by USA Today just after midnight on Sunday morning, hours after Michigan State’s second game of the season against Richmond. The article detailed accusations of sexual harassment from Michigan-based Title IX attorney Rebecca Leitman Veidlinger, who began working on the case in January. 

“This step to place Mel Tucker on an unpaid leave is equally necessary and appropriate for today’s circumstances,” said MSU interim president Teresa K. Woodruff. “These actions are not taken lightly, and I know AD Haller is making them in support of the individuals impacted.” 

Veidlinger completed and submitted her 106-page investigation on July 25. 

An official hearing is set for the week of October 5, during MSU’s bye week. According to the article from USA Today, another Title IX attorney was hired by Michigan State to determine if Tucker violated university rules. 

“I want to reinforce that these matters are unique and complex, and our investigations are designed to be comprehensive and fair,” said MSU interim president Teresa K. Woodruff. “Our guiding principles are equity and process and confidentiality for all involved, in order to protect the integrity of the investigation.” 

Haller announced that secondary coach Harlon Barnett will coach the team on an interim basis. Former MSU head coach Mark Dantonio will serve as an associate head coach.