Students react to campus life without the mask mandate

On March 3, President Stanley announced in a community-wide email that Michigan State University’s mask mandate would be lifted in most indoor settings on campus, excluding classes and labs, starting on the following Sunday, March 6. Kinesiology freshman Christian Lund said that he was surprised by the email announcing the mandate lift, but also felt excited, despite his confusion about why it was not a full removal.

Anthropology sophomore Allison Ahrens said that although she usually wears her mask, it is nice not having it required.

Other students like human biology freshman Emily Wozbut, the mask mandate removal means decreased safety on campus.

The removal comes in the wake of several weeks of downtrends for COVID cases at MSU, with the week of the announcement having only 20 positive cases.

This is a drastic difference from the 250 positive cases during the first week of the semester. These trends are consistent with the national trends.

ICHD and MSU to hold COVID-19 vaccine clinic on Monday

The Ingham County Health Department and Michigan State University are holding a COVID-19 vaccine clinic at the Breslin Center on Monday, March 28.

The clinic will run from 2-7 p.m. and will offer all three COVID-19 vaccinations, including booster doses.

Those attending the clinic are encouraged to schedule an appointment on the Ingham County Health Department website, but walk-ins will also be welcome.

Those receiving vaccinations should bring their COVID-19 vaccination record card, identification card and insurance card, if possible.

Complimentary parking will be available to those attending the clinic in Lot 63 of the Breslin Center. Attendees should enter the Breslin Center through the Hall of History entrance located at the southeast corner of the building.

Clemson guard and former Michigan Miss Basketball Gabby Elliott transfers to MSU

Former Clemson sophomore guard Gabby Elliott is returning home to Michigan and reuniting with her high school teammate, current Michigan State women’s basketball freshman guard DeeDee Hagemann, following the end of the 2021-22 season.

Elliott announced her arrival on Twitter on Friday afternoon, stating “I’M BACK” with a green heart emoji and a picture of herself in a Spartan jersey.

Before Clemson, Elliott went to Detroit Edison High School with Hagemann. She was No. 42 in ESPN’s Top-100 list of recruits, Michigan Gatorade Player of the Year and Michigan Miss Basketball.

During her freshman season, she averaged 26.4 minutes per game, turning in 18 double-digit scoring performances on 44.8% shooting from the floor, 33.9% beyond the arc and 61.2% from the stripe.

As a sophomore, Elliott only played in 12 games before entering her name into the transfer portal following Clemson’s loss to North Carolina State on Dec. 20, 2021. She was averaging 9.4 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.4 assists on 35.6% shooting from the floor, 27.7% beyond the arc and 54.5% from the stripe.

Based on original reporting by Madison Rose and Sara Tidwell. Script by Shakyra Mabone.