Two student-athletes test positive for COVID-19 in latest round of testing

An empty Spartan Stadium/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Owen Oszust, General Assignment Reporter

EAST LANSING—On Friday, the Michigan State Athletic Department announced the results of the COVID-19 PCR tests from Dec. 30 through Jan. 6.

MSU conducted 123 COVID-19 tests from Dec. 30 through Jan. 6 on student-athletes and staff members. There were 105 tests performed on student-athletes, and two of them came back positive. Eighteen staff members were tested, and none tested positive. These numbers are the same results as the previous week of testing.

The two individuals who tested positive will have daily check-ins with the athletic training staff and remain in isolation. There will be more testing and a physician follow-up before the student-athletes are allowed to participate in any team workouts.

The testing results that were announced cover all sports at Michigan State. Student-athletes and staff from men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, wrestling and hockey are currently participating in the Big Ten’s daily testing program. 

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving and indoor track teams, as well as the gymnastics team, all have designated schedules each week for antigen testing that is coordinated by the Big Ten. The athletes and staff that get a positive result from an antigen test are then required to take a PCR test.

The Michigan State Athletic Department has conducted over 3,500 COVID-19 clinical PCR tests since the beginning of June. Staff members have had more than 600 tests; 14 positive results have been yielded. For student-athletes, there have been over 2,900 tests with 180 positive results.