Three more student-athletes test positive for COVID-19 in latest round of testing

Spartan Stadium North End Zone/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications)

Nathan Stearns, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING- Despite the Big Ten’s decision to postpone fall sports indefinitely, Michigan State is still routinely testing its student-athletes for COVID-19. During the latest round of testing, three more student-athletes tested positive for the virus, while 89 student-athletes were tested in total.  The testing was conducted between Aug. 17 and Aug. 21. 

Sixteen staff members were also tested; none of the tests came back positive.

Since the beginning of June, when the Spartan’ testing program began to ramp up, over 1,100 total tests have been administered on student-athletes and athletic department staff members.  In total, 34 student-athletes have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last three months out of over 890 total tests administered. Over 250 tests have been issued to athletic department staff personnel since June 15; five results came back positive.

The individuals who tested positive will be quarantined and isolated until COVID-19 symptoms subside, and they no longer test positive for the coronavirus. Regular medical check-ups and symptom monitoring will be performed daily by MSU medical personnel.

The entire Michigan State football team was previously placed in a 14-day quarantine back on July 24 after a pair of staff members and one athlete tested positive for COVID-19.