Today’s weather forecast is predicting mostly cloudy with snow showers during the morning with a high of 44 degrees and a low of 27 degrees.

Inside MSU’s diversity, equity, inclusion report

Michigan State University released its annual Diversity, Equity and Inclusion report for the 2022-2023 academic year. The summaries are organized into four different goals: increase diversity, ensure equity, promote inclusion and enhance outreach/engagement.

“With action items backed by senior leaders and aligned with the university strategic plan, MSU is positioned to advance systems-change efforts and further foster inclusive excellence across campus,” Terrence L. Frazier, the special assistant to Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer, said in the report.

A total of 270 diversity, equity and inclusion action items were tracked throughout the academic year.

One change is the diversity, equity and inclusion online training being revamped for fall 2023 to be more reflective of the MSU community.

The Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion also created a grant that distributes an amount with the plan to advance inclusivity. The money will be distributed to fund 37 projects including a Lunar New Year concert series, adaptive and accessible sports for students with physical disabilities, a butterfly garden and fellowship and mentorship programs.

A total of 128 action items from the report are focused on increasing diversity, 44 action items are centered around ensuring equity, 60 action items promote inclusion and 38 action items address enhancing outreach and engagement.

Pie charts supporting this data can be found on The State News website.

MSU football hires former Buffalo Bills coach Jim Salgado to oversee cornerbacks

After another underwhelming season of secondary play, Michigan State football and head football coach Mel Tucker announced last Thursday evening that Jim Salgado, a former safeties coach for the Buffalo Bills, has been hired as the cornerbacks coach.

Salgado spent six seasons with the Bills, with last season being his first and only one, as the safeties coach. Before that, he spent two years with nickels and three as a defensive assistant. During his time in Buffalo, his defense regularly finished among the best in the NFL. He also oversaw Pro Bowl seasons from safeties Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer along with cornerback Tre’Davious White.

Before taking a job with the Bills, he coached in the college ranks for 22 years. He was at Princeton from 2010 to 2016 before turning professional.

Salgado will be joining Harlon Barnett on the defensive back staff, as Barnett is currently listed as the secondary coach. The extra position on the staff became available when pass rush specialist Brandon Jordan left to join the Seattle Seahawks coaching staff.

Muslim students share opinions, hopes for Ramadan on campus

The Islamic holiday Ramadan began on the evening of March 22, and will last either 29 or 30 days, depending on when the new crescent moon is or should be apparent.

Ramadan is a period of fasting and spiritual connection and growth, where Muslims will refrain from eating or drinking anything — including water — and sexual relations from sunrise to sunset. Many will partake in additional prayers, especially at night, to feel more spiritually connected to God. The Brief Guide for Ramadan at MSU states it is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar and is widely considered the month in which the Qur’an, the Islamic holy book, was first revealed.

Human biology sophomore Adeeba Rahman said Ramadan is a time when she can have a closer relationship with God.

For students living on campus, MSU provides Ramadan dining hall options which will serve halal and vegan options during dinner time at four of the major dining halls.

The MSU Muslim Students Association provides specific dining halls and East Lansing restaurants that serve halal meals. For more information regarding the dining hall options, students can refer to the Eat at State website.

For breakfast, the dining hall provides two pre-packaged breakfast options that will be available for pickup each day during dinner service at Brody Square, South Pointe at Case, The Vista at Shaw and The Edge at Akers.

The association also notes reflection rooms on campus for students which can be used for prayer. These rooms are located on the second floor of the Main Library, which includes room B284 in Wells Hall, room 412A in the Law Library, room C200B in Butterfield Hall and more.

The association will collaborate with other Muslim student organizations planning Iftars for students to enjoy meals after sunset during Ramadan. For future Iftars and more information can be found on the MSU Muslim Students Association’s Instagram page.

Based on original reporting by Maddie Dallas, Nick Lundberg and Julius Patto.