Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy with periods of rain early in the day with a high of 49 degrees and a low of 29 degrees.

Students create MSU Museum exhibit, memorialize Feb. 13 experiences

Psychology sophomores Hannah Greenspan and Kirin Krafthefer are creating an exhibit in collaboration with the MSU Museum to memorialize student experiences from the Feb. 13 mass shooting.

The pair held an event Sunday to gather stories for the exhibit.

The project was inspired by Krafthefer’s blog, Spartan Stronger, which she created as a space for students to share testimonies about Feb. 13. For Krafthefer and Greenspan, the goal of the event and the larger project was to give students an opportunity to share their stories and heal together.

The event was held at Demonstration Field and included CAPS volunteers available to help students in need. Volunteers handed out index cards for students to write down their experiences, which will later be given to the MSU Museum and saved in the MSU Archives.

Greenspan said knowing that the event helped even one student process their trauma was extremely validating.

Students who didn’t attend the event, or didn’t feel comfortable sharing their story at the time, can still participate in the exhibit. Greenspan and Krafthefer said on-campus dropbox locations will be designated so that other students can include their story at a later time.

MSU softball defeats Central Michigan 3-0 in home opener

Michigan State Softball defeated Central Michigan 3-0 in the home opener for their second straight win to improve to 9-12 on the year.

MSU sophomore pitcher Faith Guidry had an excellent day on the mound. As the starter, she posted five hitless innings, four strikeouts, and two hits allowed in route to a complete game shutout to get the win.

After a slow offensive start by both teams, the Spartans loaded the bases in the bottom of the third. Junior first baseman Alexis Barroso gave MSU the first run of the game as she drove a ball into the outfield for a sacrifice fly, bringing home senior shortstop Anna Fox.

The Spartans weren’t finished pouring on runs as junior utility player Collette Allen doubled to left field bringing home senior third baseman Jessica Mabrey, extending MSU’s lead to 3-0 in the bottom of the fifth.

Guidry’s no-hitter came to an end in the top half of the sixth inning by the hands of Chippewa junior outfielder Abbey Tolmie. The CMU threat didn’t last long however, as Guidry responded by forcing a groundout for a double play followed by an additional groundout to end the half-inning.

Head Coach Sharonda McDonald-Kelley was very happy with Guidry’s performance and felt that it gave the Spartans what it needed to go on and win the game.

The Spartans continue their opening home stand as they open Big Ten Conference play against Wisconsin for a three-game series starting late tomorrow afternoon.

MSU College of Music to present comic Shakespearean opera ‘Falstaff’

The Michigan State University College of Music will present Falstaff, an Elizabethan-era opera comedy, at Fairchild Theatre beginning Wednesday, March 22.

Conductor Katherine Kilburn said the opera follows the story of Sir John Falstaff in his foolish attempts to woo two married women for the sake of their husband’s fortunes. He is overconfident in his efforts, however, making for a “hilarious” comedy.

The opera was written by 19th-century Italian composer Giuseppe Verdi and is based on the works of Shakespeare, Henry VI and The Merry Wives of Windsor.

Verdi utilizes music throughout the opera to embellish the comedic aspect of the story, first-year doctoral student Paige Heidrich said. Verdi is “a master at creating chaos in the music,” which he accomplishes in Falstaff, she said.

Kilburn said Verdi also uses musical elements in his storytelling.

Master’s student and principal oboist Emily Demski said that they will be using a condensed orchestra for the performance, which requires a lot of teamwork and some instrument-switching.

Falstaff is an Italian opera, meaning that many of the cast members had to learn to speak Italian. Prior experience with Italian isn’t a requirement for the audience, however, as the show will be accompanied by English supertitles, a screen above the stage will translate the words being sung.

Performances will run from Wednesday, March 22 to Sunday, March 26 at Fairchild Theatre.

Based on original reporting by Vivian Barrett, Jacob Smith and Jaden Beard.