MSU adds transfer DE and 3-star DE on Early Signing Day

MSU+defensive+end+Zion+Young+during+his+official+visit+to+East+Lansing%2F+Photo+Credit%3A+MSU+Athletic+Communications+

MSU defensive end Zion Young during his official visit to East Lansing/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Carter Landis, General Assignment Reporter

EAST LANSING, Mich—Head coach Mel Tucker and the Michigan State Spartans have landed a pair of previously uncommitted defensive ends on Early National Signing Day. 

One being Khris Bogle, who spent the last three seasons at Florida before entering the transfer portal, the other being Zion Young, who signed with the Spartans Wednesday after previously being committed to West Virginia. 

Bogle, a 6-foot-4, 240-pound edge rusher from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, was originally ranked as the No. 71 overall player and the No. 10 overall player in the state of Florida in the 2019 recruiting class, according to 247Sports. He originally committed to play for Alabama in January of 2019, but flipped his commitment to the Gators on Signing Day in February. 

He was a high four-star recruit who had offers from national powers including Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Georgia, Ohio State and Notre Dame before committing to Florida. 

In 35 career games in three seasons in Gainesville, Bogle compiled 69 total tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, and eight sacks. He recorded a career-high in tackles in Week 2 of this past season against South Florida with six. He entered the transfer portal on Dec. 1 and signed with the Spartans on Wednesday.

During the 2021 season, he started in three games. for the Gators, appeared in 11 and notched 23 tackles. 3.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks.

Young, a 6-foot-5, 230-pound edge rusher from Atlanta, Georgia, originally committed to West Virginia on June 28. He decommitted from the Mountaineers on Nov. 28 and signed with the Spartans Wednesday after choosing between MSU and Missouri. Young is ranked as the No. 1316 overall player in the nation by 247Sports. Michigan State offered Young on Oct. 12, and he visited East Lansing twice after that. 

A three-star, Young also had offers from Florida and Buffalo before committing to MSU. He also compiled 58 tackles and 2.5 sacks in nine games for his high school, Westlake during the 2021 season.

Young and Bogle are strong additions to the defensive line room that will need to replace some production immediately with defensive ends Drew Beesley and Jacub Panasiuk set to graduate. The Spartans’ recruiting class currently sits at No. 20 in the nation and No. 5 in the Big Ten.