MSU sees six more players enter the transfer portal

MSU head coach Mel Tucker supervises an Oklahoma drill during spring practice/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, News Director

EAST LANSING— The roster turnover is in full swing yet again for head coach Mel Tucker.

On Monday, tight end Tommy Guajardo, offensive lineman Damon Kaylor, defensive ends DeAri Todd and Jasiyah Robinson, defensive tackle Chris Mayfield and long snapper Bryce Eimer entered the transfer portal. Overall, seven players have entered the portal since the conclusion of the 2021 spring game.

Guajardo, Kaylor, Todd, Mayfield, Robinson and Eimer all did not appear in a game during their MSU careers.

Guajardo, a redshirt freshman from Dearborn, was a three-star recruit within the 2020 recruiting class. 247Sports rated him as the No. 22 overall recruit in Michigan and the No. 30 overall tight end prospect in the country.

He initially committed to MSU over other Power Five schools including Indiana, Iowa State, NC State, Kansas State and Minnesota. His departure leaves the Spartans thin at tight end, with Tyler Hunt, Trenton Gillison and Parks Gissinger the three leaders at the position.

Kaylor, a redshirt sophomore from Huntington, Indiana, was a three-star recruit within the 2020 recruiting class. He was rated by 247Sports as the No. 16 recruit in Indiana and the No. 93 offensive tackle prospect in the nation. Kaylor originally chose MSU over Cincinnati, Boston College, Indiana, Virginia, Vanderbilt and others.

With starting tackles AJ Arcuri and Kevin Jarvis returning, as well as the addition of former Arkansas State tackle Jarrett Horst, his starting aspirations were slim to none.

Todd, a redshirt senior, was initially recruited out of Lorain, Ohio, as a three-star recruit within the 2017 recruiting class. 247Sports rated him as the No. 55 overall prospect on Ohio, and he held offers from Boston College, Air Force and Eastern Kentucky, among others.

Todd struggled to crack out a consistent role with defensive ends Jacub Panasiuk, Drew Beesley, Kenny Willekes, Jack Camper and others receiving the bulk of the available reps over the past several seasons.

Mayfield, a redshirt freshman, was recruited out of Hilliard, Ohio, and was rated by 247Sports as the No. 50 overall recruit in Ohio within the 2020 recruiting class. He held offers from notable schools including Cincinnati, Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland, Louisville, Kentucky, Iowa State and Boston College.

Robinson, a redshirt freshman, was a three-star out of Groveport, Ohio, and held offers from Ball State and Youngstown State. He was rated by 247Sports as the No. 55 overall recruit in Ohio within the 2020 recruiting class.

Eimer, a preferred walk-on, was in line for a potential starting position after former long snapper Jude Pedrozo transferred to Ohio State.  Incoming freshman Hank Pepper, a three-star recruit, will have an early chance to lock down a potential starting role. Pepper was rated by 247Sports as the No. 1 long snapping prospect in the nation.

The six players join offensive lineman Justin Stevens and kicker Jack Olsen as players who entered the portal after the spring game.  Currently, running back Andre Welch, wide receiver Javez Alexander and safety Dominique Long are also in the transfer portal.