MSU football lands first recruit of 2022

Michigan State offensive line coach Chris Kapilovic/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING- Kristian Phillips, a 6-foot-4, 310-pound offensive guard, became the first commitment for the class of 2022 after being recruited by MSU offensive line coach Chris Kapilovic. 

Phillips, who plays for Salem High School (Conyers, Ga.), does not have a comprehensive 247Sports recruiting profile; however, his sheer size may prove to be advantageous in the future for the Spartans. Although Phillips is a raw prospect, he is a budding talent who could prove to be an underrated get for the Spartans. 

Tucker, along with his entire coaching staff, have placed an emphasis on recruiting powerful and physical kids who are built for the college game.  If Phillips can work on his footwork and technique (pad level, hand placement and getting off the ball quickly), he may be able to carve out a future role as a powerful run blocker within the interior of the Spartans’ offensive line. Phillips’ impressive strength and college-ready size make this a worthwhile investment for Mel Tucker and Chris Kapilovic. 

On top of being offered by Michigan State, Phillips also held offers from Arizona State and Delaware State.