Social Justice Resources & Ways to Help

Compiled by the staff of Impact 89FM

Michigan State University welcomes students and faculty from all 50 states and over 130 countries, and these statistics are frequently used as representative of our campus’ diversity. Nevertheless, MSU is a predominantly white institution, which is an issue that must be recognized alongside today’s systemic racism and a global pandemic that disproportionately affects communities of color.

Impact 89FM exists to provide a community-oriented, inclusive and progressive media outlet for the people of Michigan State and beyond. By supporting our staff through creative and professional opportunities, we hope to engage our students and community by providing diverse and innovative multimedia content. Our station offers a space for all students of all walks of life to flourish in a creative, engaging, professional and inclusive atmosphere.

Impact 89FM stands in solidarity with those across the country who are protesting social and racial inequalities. It is unacceptable to ignore the injustices that have been inflicted upon marginalized communities, in particular Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) throughout our history and to the present moment. Additionally, we as a campus organization must assume responsibility not only in holding ourselves and our university accountable, but in ensuring that all communities have a space where their voices are heard and respected. We must empower our staff and fellow Spartans in all ways possible.

Michigan State University occupies the ancestral, traditional and contemporary lands of the Anishinaabeg – Three Fires Confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa and Potawatomi peoples. In particular, the university resides on land ceded in the 1819 Treaty of Saginaw.
We recognize Michigan’s 12 federally recognized Native Nations, historic Indigenous communities in Michigan, Indigenous individuals and communities who live here now, and those who were forcibly removed from their homelands.

In offering this land acknowledgment, we affirm Indigenous sovereignty, history and experiences.

Below we have attached a list of events, funds, organizations and literature that we believe are relevant to our current cultural climate and our goals as a station. We have included resources that are specific to BIPOC issues, as well as issues of LGBTQ+ and gender identity, to reflect our values and aspirations going forward. This is an ongoing project; we hope to revisit this list in conjunction with the goals of our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee.

In our efforts to create an ongoing dialogue, we welcome feedback from everyone. For questions, comments, concerns or suggestions, email [email protected].

Time-sensitive Resources (Ongoing)

Keep Lansing’s LGBTQIA+ Community Center Open!

Register for the Aug. 28 March on Washington D.C. -” ‘Get Off Our Necks’ Commitment March on Washington will be a day of action that will demonstrate our commitment to fighting for policing and criminal justice.”

The Annual Woman of Color Community Conference – for faculty and staff (this includes student workers)

Annual Gender, Women’s Suffrage, and Political Power (GWSPP) Conference – “(GWSPP) conference is a multi-day virtual meeting that brings together academics and activists to explore the critical history of women’s suffrage and political power…”

Local Resources (Michigan State University)

Comprehensive list of on-campus organizationsFound through the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.

Black Student Alliance – “The Black Student Alliance aims to ensure the promotion of radical Black love, through collective advocacy, continual support, and results-driven action to redefine the Black experience at Michigan State University.”

MSU WorkLife Office LGBTQ Resources

The LBGT Resource Center – “The LBGTRC is a student-centered campus resource that works to celebrate, affirm, and empower LGBTQ+ members of the Michigan State University community.”

The Alliance of Queer & Ally Students – “The purpose of the Alliance shall be to advocate for and assist in the maintenance of the equality of all groups of Students at Michigan State University that are discriminated against on the basis of gender identity and/or sexual orientation.”

Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities – “…Team RCPD works diligently to engage MSU traditions of quality, inclusiveness and connectivity for the benefit of all.”

Lansing, East Lansing and Detroit

A list of Black-owned restaurants in Lansing

Salus Center – “We envision a Lansing LGBTQIA+ community that thrives without barriers.”

Gender & social justice organizations (Lansing & East Lansing)

Detroit Justice Center – “The Detroit Justice Center (DJC) is a non-profit law firm working alongside communities to create economic opportunities, transform the justice system, and promote equitable and just cities.”

Statewide

Michigan Abolition and Prisoner Solidarity – “Michigan Abolition and Prisoner Solidarity (MAPS) is a group of abolitionists organizing in solidarity with the imprisoned against the violence of incarceration.”

Michigan Collaborative to End Mass Incarceration – “The Michigan Collaborative to End Mass Incarceration is dedicated to leveraging individual and organizational power to reduce our prison and jail populations in this state.”

Taking Action on Flint Water – Resources and up-to-date information regarding the Flint water crisis.

ACLU Michigan – “The ACLU of Michigan’s mission remains to realize the promise of the Bill of Rights for all and expanding the reach of its guarantees to new areas through all the tools at our disposal: public education, advocacy, organizing, and litigation.”

Grit, Glam, & Guts – “Grit, Glam, & Guts programming is designed to engage underserved girls, pre-teen and teen, in local youth social development programs, civic engagement activities, and educational opportunities to promote social change, eliminate barriers to success, maximize potential, empower girls to gain higher self-awareness, develop a healthy self-identity, and also recognize and engage in the power of their voice.”

National Groups

Black Lives Matter – National Organization

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) – “The ACLU dares to create a more perfect union — beyond one person, party, or side. Our mission is to realize this promise of the United States Constitution for all and expand the reach of its guarantees.”

Communities United Against Police Brutality (CUAPB) – “CUAPB was created to deal with police brutality in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area on an ongoing basis. We work on the day-to-day abuses as well as taking on the more extreme cases. We work to combat police brutality from many angles, including political and legislative action, education, research, and providing services and support for victims and their families.”

Black Women’s Health Imperative (BWHI) – “We target the most pressing health issues that affect Black women and girls in the U.S. through investments in evidence-based strategies, bold programs and advocacy outreach on health policies.”

The Okra Project – “The Okra Project is a collective that seeks to address the global crisis faced by Black Trans people by bringing home-cooked, healthy, and culturally specific meals and resources to Black Trans People wherever we can reach them.”

Indigenous Resources and Centers

Okemos

Ingham County

Funds

Michigan Solidarity Bail Fund – “Our aim is to assist people statewide, with a focus on areas with unmet needs—recognizing, for instance, that the Detroit Justice Center’s Bail Project is attending to cases in Detroit, and that others may continue to set up fundraisers for specific situations.”

The Bail Project (Detroit) – “The Bail Project (TBP) is a national nonprofit organization that pays bail for people in need, reuniting families and restoring the presumption of innocence.”

Justice for Breonna Taylor (GoFundMe)

The Nina Pop Mental Health Recovery Fund – “The Nina Pop Mental Health Recovery Fund is an emergency mutual aid fund that raises money to pay for one-time mental health therapy sessions with licensed Black women therapists.”

Greater Flint Urgent Relief Fund – “The Greater Flint Urgent Relief Fund has been established by a coalition of philanthropic, government and business partners to quickly coordinate and deploy resources to nonprofit organizations in the Greater Flint area that are working with communities disproportionately affected by the coronavirus outbreak.”

Literature and Educational Tools (Ongoing)

Online Articles and Learning Tools

The Sci-Files’ Effective Allyship – “Lauren Collier-Spruel’s research focuses on the effectiveness of diversity interventions at work. Specifically, she has completed a variety of projects on ally intervention and ally effectiveness. There are a lot of people who say they are allies for people who have been marginalized by society. But is it enough to be an ally? The research discussed today suggests that it’s not, as discussed in a July 20, 2020 episode of The Sci-Files.”

COVID-19’s Impact on Black and Minority Communities

Anti-Racist Resources from Greater Good

Resources to Support Anti-Racist Learning

An Antiracist Reading List (The New York Times)

Written by writer, historian and professor Ibram X. Kendi.

An Antiracist Reading List (NPR)

As the headline says, “This List Of Books, Films And Podcasts About Racism Is A Start, Not A Panacea.”

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack

Documentaries & Media

National Diversity Council YouTube Channel

13th

The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975″

Books

Noname’s Book Club

Chicago artist and activist Noname has received widespread acclaim for her music – from us included – but her attention has since shifted elsewhere. Last year she began to take a break from music and shortly after created Noname’s Book Club, a partnership-based organization that focuses on reading authors of color, particularly Black authors. Noname’s Book Club is emphasized as a space for anti-capitalist and anti-racist viewpoints, which has become especially important in this moment of worldwide activism.

Regarding the topic of abolition and other social justice dialogue, Noname made the point that capitalist publications (some of which are included in this resource list) should not be our only source of information on these issues. She included a link to the abolitionist journal In The Belly, which spotlights the work of incarcerated writers.

Stamped from the Beginning – Ibram X. Kendi

Are Prisons Obsolete? – Angela Davis

Between the World and Me – Ta-Nehisi Coates