MSU adds three-star from Cleveland

Michigan State football coach Mel Tucker talks to the media/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING– If there was an award for the most three-star commits in a recruiting season for football, chances are that Michigan State would be right in the thick of things. 

On May 7th, the Spartans once again acquired a three-star prospect in Cleveland, Ohio, native Michael Gravely Jr. 

Tucker, a Cleveland native too, has a lot of ties to the area as a Cleveland Heights High School graduate.

Gravely Jr. became the 11th three-star prospect that Tucker has gotten a commitment from during the recruiting season. 

He played both receiver and safety at Glenville High School, but was recruited as a safety by Mike Tressel. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound safety, will add some much-needed size to the MSU secondary.  

Gravely Jr. is rated as the No. 39 prospect in Ohio and the No. 74 safety prospect in the nation, according to 247Sports.com. His overall player composite rating is 0.8477 on 247Sports too.

The MSU defensive staff has made it a focus to shore up the secondary during the 2020 recruiting season.

MSU added a rangy and athletic safety prospect in Gabe Nealy and corners Antoine Booth II and Charles Brantley to shore up the back end of the secondary over the past month, which is a part of the defense that struggled with depth for much of this past season.

After the commitment of Gravely Jr., the Spartan recruiting class is ranked as the 21st-best in the nation, according to 247Sports.com. For reference, the 2019 Spartan recruiting class was rated as the 33rd-best in the nation, while the 2020 class was rated as the 43rd-best in the country.

On top of being offered by MSU, Gravely Jr. also held offers from Colorado, West Virginia, Wake Forest and Cincinnati among others.