Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Today’s weather forecast is predicting sunny with a high of 45 degrees and a low of 27 degrees. For the rest of the weekend, it looks like it will be mixes of clouds and sun with occasional rain on Saturday with temps in the lower 50s.

New active violence incident training video released by MSU Police and Public Safety

MSU Department of Police and Public Safety (MSU DPPS) released an active violence incident awareness training video on Monday.

An email was sent out to the MSU community from Interim Vice President and Chief Safety Officer Doug Monette describing the contents of the video and instructions on how to access it.

The training emphasized the run-hide-fight response model, what to expect from officers when responding to an active violence incident, as well as reporting concerning or threatening behavior to the MSU Care and Intervention Team.

The video is ten minutes long and features advice on how to approach an active violence situation as well as resources to report unusual or concerning behavior.

The video comes as a part of an optional virtual training program that became available to students nearly a year after the Feb. 13 mass shooting on campus. The online training can be accessed on MSU’s Ability Training Platform. In-person training sessions for students, faculty and staff are also offered and can be requested through the MSU DPPS website.

The email warned that the video contains sensitive content and may be difficult to watch due to the violence the MSU community experienced last year.

MSU honors women’s history through West Circle namesakes

The residence halls of West Circle Drive are easily distinguishable by their collegiate-style architecture and traditional structure. These buildings are some of the oldest and most historic dorms on Michigan State’s campus. However, a deeper history lies within their namesakes.

The West Circle residence halls are named after six women who were influential during the early days of the university: Louise H. Campbell, Maude Gilchrist, Linda Landon, Mary Mayo, Sarah Langdon Williams and Elida Yakeley. Originally the sole all-female residence halls on campus, these buildings play an important role in honoring women’s history at MSU.

The late 19th century brought about an extension of higher public education to include women, said associate history professor Emily Conroy-Krutz, and MSU was among the first to welcome them.

The six women for which the West Circle dorms were named were among the champions of women’s suffrage, access to higher education, and legacies in Michigan State’s history.

More information on these women individually can be found on The State News website.

MSU RSO Homeless Humanity seeks to bring awareness, aid to Lansing’s homeless population

When human biology junior Chloe Lohman and her roommates moved into a new apartment during the start of the fall semester, they noticed that people would rummage through the trash cans outside their building regularly.

In response, they embarked on organizing a registered student organization that could help provide for the homeless community of East Lansing and Greater Lansing area. By the beginning of the spring semester, they had started Homeless Humanity.

Right now, the club holds monthly meetings, monthly donation days and fundraises when and where they can.

On Jan. 28 of 2024, they held their first donation day in collaboration with local homeless shelter Homeless Angels. Every Sunday the shelter drives a food truck to parks and provides food.

Lohman said this was a great way for them to not only help, but also hear from the people they were helping.

While the club hopes to see more turnout as the year goes on, the current involvement from members has also been inspiring for Lohman. Their first meeting had 30 attendees, and the the first donation day drew in many people.

In the future, they hope to do even more fundraising as well as host their own event, separate from Homeless Angels.

Based on original reporting by Hannah Holycross, Lauren Coin and Hannah Locke.

To end our last episode of the week, here are a few announcements!

Here is the MSU home Athletic line-up for the weekend…

Tomorrow

• Baseball will take on Rutgers at 3:35 P.M. at McLane Baseball Stadium.

Saturday

• Baseball will play Rutgers at 3:35 P.M. at McLane Baseball Stadium.
  • Women’s Tennis will go against Purdue at 11 A.M. at the MSU Indoor Tennis Center.

Sunday

• Baseball will take on Rutgers at 1:05 P.M. at McLane Stadium.
  • Women’s Tennis will play Indiana at 11 A.M. at the MSU Indoor Tennis Center.