Today’s weather forecast is predicting partly cloudy skies with a high of 68 degrees and a low of 51 degrees.

‘Be the Match’ drive raises awareness for blood disorders with bone marrow registry

The National Marrow Donor Program, or “Be The Match,” hosted its annual drive last Friday at Michigan State University to spread awareness for blood disorders. The drive was held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Brody Square and set up a bone marrow registry anyone could sign up for to match with patients, increasing their chances of receiving a bone marrow transplant.

MSU kinesiology senior, Black Student Alliance Campus Liason and NMDP volunteer Mychaela Lovelace helped organize and lead the event. Lovelace, who was diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia at age five, celebrated her 15th year of remission.

Aplastic Anemia is a rare blood disorder that occurs when the body’s bone marrow does not produce enough red and white blood cells and platelets, causing hemoglobin levels to drop.

Lovelace was diagnosed with the disorder’s most severe form and told that a bone marrow transplant was needed for her to live. In 2009, her family received a call from their doctor and found a 10 out of 10 match, allowing Lovelace to receive her transplant immediately.

After receiving her transplant, however, Lovelace developed complications, such as nausea due to prior chemotherapy, and developed another disorder that attacked her skin. To this day, Lovelace undergoes transfusions to support her immune system.

Now celebrating her 15th year of remission, Lovelace is an advocate for patients who have died from aplastic anemia and other blood cancers.

Multiple student organizations, such as Lovelace’s sorority, the Delta Zeta Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Inc., Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students, or MAPS, and Black Student Alliance volunteered with the event.

Other students also shared their stories about battling with blood disorders, or the disorders of a loved one, during the event. Supporters gathered around to listen to the challenges each student experienced.

MSU showcases student research in 2024 UURAF

The 26th annual University Undergraduate Research and Arts Forum, or UURAF, took place at the Breslin Center last Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., where over a thousand undergraduate students presented their work to their peers, MSU faculty, judges and community members both in person and online.

MSU’s office of Undergraduate Research connects undergrads with research mentors, supports them in their projects and oversees the planning of UURAF.

Director of Undergraduate Research Brian Keas said students and staff work all year long to make this event a reality.

UURAF is open to all undergraduate students at MSU interested in conducting their own research and the event showcases a wide variety of fields, from science to the arts.

Keas said participation in UURAF is a feat in dedication and scholarship, and should be near the top of students’ resumes. He said he is confident that this experience will continue to help students succeed.

Summer Solstice Jazz Festival returning to East Lansing

In the heart of East Lansing, on June 21 and 22, music will ring out in the streets. The Summer Solstice Jazz Festival is returning for its 27th year and will provide an opportunity for attendees to listen to professional jazz musicians.

The festival will be set up along Albert Avenue, between M.A.C. Avenue and Abbot Road. Anyone can walk through and take in the music from 5-10 p.m. on Friday and 1-10 p.m. on Saturday.

The festival also partners with the MSU college of music. Due to this partnership, there are two stages to be found at the festival: The Al and Beth Cafagna Founders’ Stage and The Michigan State University Outreach and Engagement Education Stage.

The Founders’ stage will feature performances from renowned musicians and the MSU Education Stage will provide an opportunity for local performers to get their foot in the door.

The festival will also feature multiple different ways for audience members to experience the performers; making the event even more accessible.

This year, community members can choose to pick up sensory bags. Bags will have sensory toys, noise canceling headphones and stress balls — things “people can touch to keep them grounded.” If audience members need to step away from things for a while, they can do so without having to leave by visiting a quiet space on the festival grounds.

For those who don’t want the nights’ festivities to end, there will be an afterglow at The Graduate following each day of the festival. Located in the Graduate’s Rock Bar, the afterglow is available to all ages and will feature more live music.

Based on original reporting by Shakyra Mabone, Kendra Gilchrist and Liam Clymer.