DJ Spotlight of the Week: Connor Gilley

Connor Gilley not only plays sweet tunes on the Impact airwaves, he also volunteers for our Sports Team. You can hear him as DJ Connor Cooks from 2-4p.m. on Wednesdays on 88.9fm!!

Where are you from?

Holland, Ohio

What made you decide to join The IMPACT and become a DJ?

I went into high school with a passion for broadcasting and actually tried radio out first there. I had a great experience doing it and wanted to pursue it further in college. Once I found out about the IMPACT and knew I was headed to MSU, I had to go for it. So far it’s been great interacting with the community, kickin it in the studio, and playing great alternative music. 

What has been your best on-air experience?

It’s not really one instance, but sometimes during shifts I’ll get texts from friends and family that are listening. Sometimes they’ll request a song or gas me up about a good on-air drop or song choice. It’s just always great to hear from them and it reminds me how lucky I am to be in this position.

What is the best concert experience you have had? Why?

It’s a battle between a few, but I’m going with Jack White’s second show at the Masonic Temple in Detroit for his Supply Chain Issues Tour. White always switches up his setlists which made for a really unique experience. He broke out some classic White Stripes and some great solo career cuts. The atmosphere was also electric all night and the show finishing with Seven Nation Army might be the single best live music experience I’ve had.

Favorite Dining Hall?

Akers, full disclosure that’s the dorm I live in and I haven’t really hit the other ones so I could definitely be wrong. 

Are you more of a scooter in the river or a stolen bike? 

Definitely more of a scooter in the river type guy. It’s how I feel most days and that’s just a really funny visual.

Plan a dinner in East Lansing with any person dead or alive. Who would it be?  Where would you go?

I think the person definitely has to be Dave Grohl. Gotta be the most chill guy to hang out with in music right now. As for the place I’m going with Crunchy’s. I haven’t been there in a while and it just sounds really good right now. Some solid bar food and a chat with Grohl sounds like a contender for the greatest day of my life if it were to happen.

What is your comfort TV show?

Arrested Development

If you were on a deserted island, what 3 albums would you bring?

First is In Rainbows by Radiohead, second is the Third Eye Blind debut record, and last is The New Abnormal by The Strokes. I just think all of those records are perfect in their own way and are diverse enough to keep me from losing my mind for a while. 

What’s your go-to karaoke song?

I’m going off my one karaoke experience, in which I performed the Rascal Flats cover of Life Is a Highway from the Cars soundtrack. Not sure if I’m ever going to break it out again but it went over well the first time, so we’ll see.

What’s your zodiac sign?

Scorpio

If you could play an artist non-stop on the air, which would it be?

I think King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard is made for this concept. They just have so much material from so many different genres that keeps it from becoming boring or repetitive.