Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy with rain and snow in the morning and then more rain and snow will heavy up in the afternoon with a high of 37 degrees and a low of 34 degrees. For the weekend it looks like it will be mostly rain and snow mixed with temps in the higher 30’s.

UNC chancellor said he’ll only take MSU presidency if board promises not to interfere

Kevin Guskiewicz, the current chancellor of the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill and sole remaining candidate for Michigan State University’s presidency, wrote that he’d only accept the job if he is able to lead “without undue interference.”

In written statements made to MSU’s faculty weeks ago, Guskiewicz said he’s had “very direct and honest conversations” with MSU’s board of trustees — who have been accused of interfering in the university’s last two presidencies — about working more cohesively with his theoretical administration.

He wrote that he is “confident that the trustees are committed to this” and that he believes the board “values the principles of shared governance.”

MSU’s board and administration are separate. The administration, led by the president, runs the university day-to-day, while the board, which is elected statewide in partisan races, is tasked with overseeing the president and making big-picture decisions.

Protests disrupt Buttigieg’s speech at annual public service forum, one arrested

Protests broke out during Department of Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg’s speech at the former Michigan Gov. Jim Blanchard’s annual public service forum Wednesday night, resulting in one arrest at the Kellogg Center, according to Michigan State Police and Public
Safety Spokesperson Dana Whyte.

The demonstration broke out during Sec. Buttigieg’s speech about the Biden administration’s goals for combating climate change.

Climate activists from the non-violent direct action organization Climate Defiance disrupted Buttigieg’s speech, chanting “Stop Petro Pete!” until they were removed from the venue by police.

After the activists were escorted out of the venue by police, Buttigieg addressed the demonstrators saying that the Biden administration has “delivered the most sweeping and vicious climate change in human history,” referring to the Inflation Reduction Act, which provides federal tax credits for clean energy projects.

Listening, learning, leading: MSU Extension’s collaborative approach to progress

For more than a century, MSU Extension has been in place enhancing the lives of Michiganders through educational initiatives and community outreach throughout the state.

Becky McKendry, the communications manager of MSU Extension, emphasized the organization’s commitment to providing diverse resources that empower individuals to expand their knowledge and enhance their day-to-day lives.

With a physical presence in all 83 Michigan counties, their efforts and impact MSU Extension has on the wellbeing of the state is evident to all, McKendry said. However, just because efforts are evident doesn’t mean community needs are met.

To address this, MSU Extension plans to conduct eight separate listening sessions across the state.

The East Lansing session, held at the Hannah Community Center on Wednesday, consisted of different segments targeting external, internal, and prospective aspects of MSU Extension.

The first segment focused on external factors that affected the organization, such as sociopolitical trends and technological advancements.

The second segment of the event sought input on internal factors within the organization that were being handled well or needed improvement.

In the final segment of the session, community members privately contemplated upcoming crossroads the organization might come across based on earlier.

Based on original reporting by Alex Walters, Theo Scheer, Jaden Beard, Ridhima Kodali and Gabrielle Yeary.