Today’s weather forecast is predicting partly cloudy skies with a high of 64 degrees and a low of 53 degrees.

MSU’s athletic gender equity problems are worse than they seem, advocates say

An outside gender equity review released last month identified several areas, including financial aid and access to sports-related resources, where female athletes at Michigan State University were not receiving equitable treatment, but some say MSU’s problems are worse than the review suggests.

Advocates claim the review — created to find whether MSU is in compliance with the Title IX standard that requires universities to treat female athletes equitably or not — was made with information from misled sources and uses statistics that unintentionally minimize inequities between male and female athletes.

Gabe Feldman, one of the nation’s preeminent experts in sports law, was hired to conduct the review as a condition of the university’s settlement with members of MSU’s dissolved swim and dive teams.

The former swimmers argued that by cutting a sport with so many female athletes, the university had changed the overall gender-ratio of male-to-female opportunities in sports. This disparity, they argued, violated the Title IX policy requiring athletic participation be proportional to enrollment.

They eventually agreed to end the case in exchange for an independent gender equity review and revision of MSU athletics.

MSU updates off-campus aggravated assault reports from 3 to 5

Two additional reports of aggravated assault that occurred on non-campus property in 2022 were added to MSU’s annual security and fire safety report, according to a campus-wide email on Nov. 13.

The number of off-campus aggravated assaults reported increased from 3 to 5 with the changes in the report.

The original annual report was sent to the MSU community on Sept. 29.

The university became aware of the additional two assault reports after reassessing one reported crime concerning both assaults, MSU deputy spokesperson Dan Olsen said.

The university is required by the Clery Act to provide crime statistics to the public per an outlined geographic area.

Alpha Phi Alpha hosts annual Miss Black & Gold Scholarship Pageant: Women celebrate night in elegance

The Zeta Delta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. hosted its annual Miss Black & Gold scholarship pageant last Friday. This event celebrated the hard work women have demonstrated while being students at Michigan State University.

Communications senior and Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity member Brandon Foster said the Miss Black & Gold scholarship pageant is important because the Black community at MSU acknowledges talent, academic excellence, fashion and the leadership of Black women at MSU.

“It showcases diversity, inclusion and leadership within the Black community,” Foster said. “Each of these women are setting a positive blueprint for our people on our campus. They are involved in honor societies, campus organizations and doing hard work within their major.”

Based on original reporting by Theo Scheer, Kayla Nelsen and Shakyra Mabone.