Goodbye, MSU | Adam Steinhauer
Goodbye, MSU | Adam Steinhauer
Adam Steinhauer, Marketing Director • May 10, 2024
Goodbye, MSU | Adam Steinhauer
Goodbye, MSU | Adam Steinhauer
Audience members enjoying the Detroit comedy show “A Night of Laughter with Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Friends.” Photo Credit: Merrett Fay
RFK Jr. returns to Michigan to connect with voters: An interview with Kennedy’s Director of Communications, Del Bigtree
Maco Jeleniewski, News Editorial Assistant • April 25, 2024

Last Sunday, presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. hosted a voter engagement event at the Royal Oak Theatre in Michigan to celebrate gaining...

The State Logo
April 19, 2024
The State Logo
April 18, 2024
Goodbye, MSU | Adam Steinhauer
Goodbye, MSU | Adam Steinhauer

The State Logo
April 19, 2024
The State Logo
April 18, 2024

Michigan State hosts four Top-25 ranked teams in MSU Open

Sarah Smith
The Michigan State Wrestling team cheers on their teammates during Michigan State’s loss to Michigan on January 13, 2023. Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

EAST LANSING – The Michigan State Spartans had their home wrestling opener at Jenison Fieldhouse for the MSU Open. The open had a loaded field with four top 25 teams: Michigan, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. 

“Our freshmen and sophomore division wrestlers wrestled very well, Michigan State head coach Roger Chandler said. “They are young and getting implemented in college wrestling; this is only their second week competing in college; there are a lot of good things there.

The Spartans had quality performances in the frosh-soph division from Luke Vanadia, who finished first in the 184 weight class, and his twin brother Max Vanadia, who finished first in the heavyweight weight class. 

In the open division, Josh Terrill, a redshirt freshman heavyweight, stole the show. Terrill won third place in a thrilling match against Hogan Swenski from Ohio State in overtime.

Chandler said the person who impressed him the most was Terrill.

“He is competing in every position and is staying true to who he is as a person technically; he just likes to grind out matches,” Chandler said.

The match between Terrill and Swenski was a rematch from last year’s open, in which Swenski beat Terrill. The math this year was nice revenge for Terrill to come out with a win. 

“I’ve been training really hard this year for this; the reward is nice in the end,” Terrill said. 

In the off-season, Terill was running, lifting, and training with coaches Willie Miklus and Te’Shan Campbell. 

With that performance, Terrill’s record improves to 10-2.

The Spartans travel next to West Point, New York, for the Black Knight Invite and look to keep on improving every week.