Today’s weather forecast is predicting mostly cloudy skies early and then partly cloudy in the afternoon with a high of 48 degrees and a low of 37 degrees.

Pedestrian killed in hit-and-run at intersection of Michigan Avenue and University Drive

A pedestrian was struck and killed by a vehicle early Sunday morning at the intersection of Michigan Avenue and University Drive, according to East Lansing Police Department Sergeant Nicole Mitchell.

Mitchell said the accident occurred around 1 a.m. and that one person is in custody in connection to the accident.

According to East Lansing Police Department Sergeant Jayson Young, multiple vehicles involved in the crash fled the scene directly following the crash that killed the pedestrian.

Young said there is an ongoing investigation into the accident.

Michigan State University spokesperson Emily Guerrant confirmed that the person who was killed was not affiliated with MSU.

Guerrant said that given the proximity of the accident to MSU’s campus, it is likely that students were “impacted” by the accident and that the university is looking to “provide appropriate support” for those students.

NAACP calls out MSU for complacency, lack of attention to Black student needs

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, or NAACP, Michigan State Conference Youth & College Division, along with MSU NAACP, released a statement addressing the protection of Black and Brown students at Michigan State University.

The statement, posted on social media on Nov. 2, calls out the university for continuously ignoring minority students’ safety concerns as they are being racially harassed on campus.

The statement follows several instances of racism on campus throughout the past few months.

In response to the discrimination, the BSA and NAACP have spent months advocating for Black students’ safety and well-being at MSU.

In the latest statement, the NAACP said “the university continues to be complicit by ignoring the students’ calls for MSU to be a safe learning environment.”

It also urges the Board of Trustees to “develop safe spaces and adopt a zero-tolerance policy against racial terrorism,” and to value the safety of minority students in MSU’s search for a new president.

At both the walkout and town hall, students discussed their mental health concerns while being at MSU. Many students expressed the difficulties of being Black international students because they constantly watch over their shoulders for harassers.

Students also expressed that the university was not following through on diversity, equity and inclusion plans.

MSU to lead mid-Michigan in its establishment as a national technology hub

The city of Lansing is poised to lead the state in high-technology development after Michigan received a federal grant from the Economic Development Administration, or EDA, Tech Hub program on Oct. 23.

The program seeks to designate cities across the country as national sources for advanced technologies.

The advanced technologies that the city of Lansing will be collaborating on include materials that hope to make a switch to electric vehicles more efficient in Michigan.

The grant will allow for the establishment of the Materials Advancement and Research Solutions, or MARS, consortium as a collaboration between the MSU Research Foundation and its partners around the region. MSU materials research will spearhead the collaboration.

The mid-Michigan workforce will work alongside MSU’s research efforts through partnerships with private entities, government agencies and nonprofit organizations like Great Lakes Crystal Technologies and Fraunhofer USA.

For more information regarding this plan, you can visit this article on The State News website.

Based on original reporting by Owen McCarthy, Shakyra Mabone, Theo Scheer and Kayla Nelsen.