Today’s weather forecast is predicting sunny, along with a few afternoon clouds with a high of 41 degrees and a low of 31 degrees.

Associated Students of MSU calls on board to release Nassar documents

The Associated Students of MSU called on the Board of Trustees to release thousands of long-withheld documents on the university’s handling of disgraced ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar in a statement posted to social media on Oct. 30.

The letter to the board said that the university not releasing the documents while continuing to “push out” resources and training is hypocritical and harmful to campus culture.

The letter added that the decision to withhold the documents shows that “the Board of Trustees prioritizes their own image instead of the well-being and safety in the community in which they were elected to serve.”

The letter followed years of demands from survivors and the public for the documents’ release.

In April, the Board of Trustees refused to release the documents, despite board chair Rema Vassar telling Attorney General Dana Nessel that she had the votes and wanted Nessel to send a letter reaffirming her request for the documents, Nessel said. Nessel told The State News she had “no idea” why Vassar would request the letter to then uphold client-attorney confidentiality without a public vote.

Vassar said releasing the documents could “retraumatize survivors” and invade their privacy.

The letter said that the board’s refusal to release the documents denies the community its “right to understand what happened.”

MSU instructor connected to meth lab fired for ‘unprofessional behavior’

Michigan State University has fired Brendan Doyle, the kinesiology instructor whose students connected him to a 2020 Louisiana meth lab, according to personnel records.

An Oct. 9 termination letter justifies the decision by listing examples of his “unprofessional behavior” and repeated absences from his class.

It does not mention the meth lab connection, which students discovered and sent to administrators almost a month before the termination.

‘Spoiling means you’re a scrub, and I ain’t a scrub:’ Harlon Barnett looking to end losing streak on Senior Day

Interim head coach Harlon Barnett and MSU football have yet to find success in the six games he has been at the helm. This weekend, though, he has a chance to send the seniors out on a winning note against Nebraska for their last game at Spartan Stadium, and Barnett has been nothing but positive with his guys to keep the mood in the locker room from derailing.

“I am a very positive person, and I am going to stay an encourager,” Barnett said. “My mind goes to positive, win. I never think lose or be a spoiler.”

For the seniors on the team, their time at Michigan State has been nothing short of a rollercoaster. They have been through two coaching changes, a shortened COVID season, a 9-2 season with a bowl win and the largest home loss in program history to their biggest rival. They have been a part of some tremendous highs and are now going through some extreme lows. Barnett says the team is sticking together through it all, and he has been appreciative of the upperclassmen who have led the way.

“With a new staff, it takes time for players and coaches to get used to one another,” Barnett said. “I think they’ve found themselves a little bit and have gotten a rhythm going. They’re playing well, so credit to them. They’re just trying to use what they have learned this year to put their guys in the best position to be successful.”

Based on original reporting by Willow Symonds, Alex Walters and Nick Lundberg.