MSU manager Jake Boss walks to the dugout before the Spartans take on Notre Dame on April 26, 2022/ Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM
MSU baseball prepares for rivalry weekend versus Michigan
Kyle Keegan, General Assignment Reporter • May 3, 2024

Today’s weather forecast is predicting mostly cloudy skies early and then partly cloudy in the afternoon with a high of 56 degrees and a low of 42 degrees.

New MSU program will eliminate tuition costs for eligible students starting next year

Thousands of incoming Spartans will have their tuition covered for up to eight semesters, thanks to Michigan State University’s new financial aid program, the Spartan Tuition Advantage. The program will take effect in the 2024-2025 school year.

Eligible students don’t have to apply for the program, as long as they complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, each year. Future eligibility could be impacted if FAFSA information changes.

The Spartan Tuition Advantage is funded through a combination of federal, state and institutional gift aid.

The program builds on MSU’s decision in 2006 to cover tuition costs of in-state students with an expected family contribution. MSU expects the new program to cover tuition for more than 6,000 students each year, once it is fully operational.

An in-depth look into the life of a tree on MSU’s campus

In 2020, Michigan State University adopted a tree replacement policy that calls for every tree removed from campus to be replaced on a one-for-one basis.

When the policy was adopted in fall 2020, MSU planted 101 more trees than they lost due to a concentrated effort to meet policy requirements, with a huge jump in numbers planted. Just in the 2019-2020 academic year, 1,126 trees were planted.

Since then MSU has averaged 82 trees gained each academic year, resulting in a total current population of 19,468 trees on campus.

This policy, called the Campus Tree Management Plan, also calls for every tree on campus to be databased and mapped on the campus tree map. This map tracks, when available, the location, plant date, common name and other data points of every tree planted on campus.

Every tree on campus, whether bought or grown, begins its life at the Beaumont Nursery, a plant nursery dedicated to producing and tending to every tree to be planted at MSU. If a tree is requested on campus, it will come from the nursery’s stock.

Newly planted trees are monitored for two years. They are treated for pests by drilling holes into the trunk and injecting pesticides. They are watered once a week by wrapping a green vinyl bag filled with water around the base of the tree. These bags have holes in the bottom that slowly drip water onto the tree’s roots.

The final stage for a tree on campus is death. When a tree is too damaged to remain on campus and poses a hazard, whether from disease, storm damage, or insects, it is removed and repurposed in an appropriate manner.

Trees can be mulched and used for future planting on campus or burned as a biofuel. Another option is the Sustainable Wood Recovery Initiative. This program takes reclaimed wood from downed campus trees and works with local Michigan artisans to repurpose the materials on campus.

‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ Broadway show plays at MSU Wharton Center

The stage adaptation of Harper Lee’s novel, “To Kill a Mockingbird” ran at Michigan State University’s Wharton Center from Oct. 3 until this past Sunday, Oct. 8.

Last Wednesday, Greater Lansing residents and MSU students gathered to watch the Broadway play’s opening show at 8 p.m. The play lasted roughly three hours, with a 15-minute intermission.

The show featured many acclaimed cast members, including Emmy-winning actor Richard Thomas, who played Atticus Finch.

Richard Thomas was extremely happy with the turnout of opening night. Thomas said he thinks moving to various theaters and cities across the country allows the show to “stay alive.”

The most important part of knowing his character, Thomas said, was understanding the context of Southern history.

Thomas said immersing himself in the character, along with the social justice aspects of the play, has made his “To Kill a Mockingbird” role especially significant to him.

Though this story has always been important to tell so people can learn from themselves, Thomas said, this play created a space to engage with social justice issues in a “new and fresh way.”

Based on original reporting by Theo Scheer, Joe Lorenz, Misha Berry and PJ Pfeiffer.